Chapter 9

Hannah's P.O.V

I couldn't believe how fast the time was going by, it was already one more day until my nineteenth birthday and not long before I can take my defender exam.

            On the morning of my birthday I jumped out of bed nice and early, I was washed, dressed and downstairs for breakfast by half eight. Kook was the first person I saw.

            "Morning." I said as I sat down.

            "Morning beautiful." Kook replied. "Am I right in thinking that today is someone's birthday?"

            "You're right."

            "Shoot, I knew that I'd forgotten something."

            I chuckled at Kooks sarcasm.

            "Don't try that on me Kook, I know when you're joking."

            "How?"

            "Your lips move."

            "Hey, I can be serious when I want to. Which reminds me, I've got a little surprise for you tonight."

            "What is it?"

            "If I told you it wouldn't be a surprise. But all I'll say is that stars are going to be shining bright tonight."

            "Maybe fireworks too?"

            "If things go to plan maybe."

            "Ooh, looking forward to it already."

            After breakfast Kook went straight on duty so I decided to go for a little morning walk, while on my walk I could hear the sound of church bells ringing in the distance, there must have been a wedding commencing, I couldn't help but smile, and looking at a number of young couples with little children made me finally realise what I really wanted in life, forget following my dream to be a defender, all I really want now is to have my own little family.

            After an hour long walk I decided it was probably time to get back home, as soon as I walked through the gates I knew that there was something a bit off, there was no one there, the guards were on duty, but I couldn't see Ballista, or Gildar, or Kook anywhere.

            "Excuse me." I said to a nearby guard. "Sorry to interrupt but where are the defenders?"

            "They're all waiting for you in the great hall. Ballista said that they have a surprise for you."

            A surprise? Have they been planning this? What if this is what Kook told me about, was this all his idea?

            I almost ran to the great hall, I just had to see what the others had planned. I stopped in front of the doors and held onto the door handles, I stayed there in that position for what felt like minutes before finally pushing them open. Inside there were balloons and streamers all over the place with a large banner at the back of the room saying "Happy Birthday Hannah".

            "Happy Birthday!" Everyone cheered.

            "Aw thanks guys, but you really shouldn't have."

            "We just wanted to surprise you since it's the first birthday you're spending with us."

            I smiled and looked over at Kook, he slowly walked over to me and held my hands.

            "Was this all your idea?" I asked.

            "No, we've all been thinking about this for a few weeks."