December 10, 2016

"Oh my god, did you hear about Julia?"

Maia said these beautiful words while we were doing homework in the library. I put on my best confused and intrigued look and told her I hadn't.

"She apparently tried to give weed to a student, and they found some in her bag when she tried to deny it."

She went on to say that Julia probably isn't going to be expelled, given that she wasn't selling and this was her first time, but she's definitely looking at a fine and loss of privileges, like joining clubs. All of those precious activities she adores, gone. Just like that.

"And she was doing so well."

Those words truly surprised me, and, when I asked what she was talking about, Maia went on to explain that this wasn't the first time she'd used. Back in high school, Julia had a different addiction: alcohol.

It got really bad, apparently. She brought alcohol to school, stole money from her parents so she could buy a secret stash (her parents didn't keep any in the house). And then, one night after a party, alcohol poisoning almost killed her.

That's when she decided it was time to quit. She got help, and she's been alcohol free ever since.

"And now this," Maia said. She tried to shrug it off, but I could tell it bothered her.