Chapter 3 - Fat, Old Chicks and Sexy Hawaiian Men

Darkness engulfed by surroundings after I jumped into the slide. I honestly did not know what to expect after the light turned green and I hopped on it. I couldn’t see anything — I could only hear the water flowing through the enclosed tube. At a distinct interval, I felt every single bump of where each part of the slide connected. 

The darkness finally got to me. The only thing I knew about this slide was that it dumps you into a 4 ft. deep pool. Since it was dark, how do I know when to hold my breath? I didn’t want to swallow the salty pool water! — even though it’s nowhere nearly as bad as accidentally drinking regular pool water.

The ride only lasted a few seconds and, in the last two, I saw light shining in from the end of the tube. I guess that’s my cue I thought to myself. I pinched my nose and closed my eyes as the ride dumped me into the freezing water. The water here was actually much colder than the water in the lazy river! I frowned at the temperature and shivered my way to the lazy river with my brother trailing behind me; he never really was a fast walker.

Back in the river, I looked even more closely at the life guards. Of course, I had to be careful not to let my brother notice that I was checking them out. Yes, I had a boyfriend back at home, but no one else knew, except for Mylene, that I fancy guys instead of girls. Surprisingly, all the lifeguards stationed at their posts were women. Bummer.

“You wanna try the infinity pool at the other side of the resort?” I asked my brother.

“Sure why not. Let’s wait ‘till we get to the entrance near the towel booth though.”

“Alright.”

During the time we went around to our exit, the lifeguards never once rotated, so I was especially disappointed to not see any male lifeguards. Damn my teenage hormones. Why do I keep looking for them?

We finally reached the towel booth and wrapped ourselves in the huge piece of absorbent cloth. It helped to keep us warm as we walked to the infinity pool. As we walked to our destination, we noticed that the main pool was empty and closed. I sure hope nobody “accidentally” peed in there, I thought to myself. This was usually the case on the cruises we’ve been on. In fact, this should be the case for any public pools. If anyone ever accidentally pees in a public pool, it should be closed down until they fully cleanse the water. Unfortunately, it’s impossible to always know if someone dirtied the water.

Looking around, I noticed that the lifeguards still stood around the main pool. Guests were also hanging around it as if they were waiting for something to happen. Since they’re actually wasting their time for the pool to open, maybe nothing was wrong after all. I saw cast member pushing along some sound system equipments around the pool and into an empty space near the back. I finally realized what was going on after glancing at my watch. It was 10AM; they preparing for the pool party that was going to start at 11 o’clock. I guess we can come by later to check it out.

“The water’s not that bad,” I told my brother while I dipped one of my feet in. “It’s not as cold as the main pool. It’s just a tiny bit colder than the lazy river.”

He finally reached the steps and started making his way through the water. “Yeah, you’re right.”