Chapter 10: Owen

North and I watch from my study window as Silas backs out of San's driveway and drives down the road. A few minutes later, he's walking up my front path and into the house. North meets him at the doorway to the study and starts the inquisition.

"What did she say? How many issues are there? When do we start?"

"North," I intervene. "If you could let him speak?"

"Sorry Si," he backs up a step, allowing Silas to step in and take a seat. "So what happened?"

"Well, she let me in after asking if I were a serial killer," he chuckles.

"She what?" North booms.

"She asked to see my ID to prove I was actually a plumber. That just because I said so and had the truck and outfit, didn't mean I wasn't some serial killer trying to gain entrance and slaughter her."

"What would the ID prove?" North asks.

"It could very well be a fake," I add.

"That's what I said," Silas replies. "She said my name flowed too well and was too exotic to be fake."

His chest swells with pride for his heritage as he grins at the two of us.

"Yeah yeah, you're Greek, we get it," North smirks. "Now what happened once you got inside?"

"I checked out the water lines and the boiler. The door to the basement is really small, I'm not sure we'll both fit." Silas tells us. "The boiler didn't look too bad, but it did seems like it could give at any minute. The pipes are rusted and a few are frozen. It takes a while for the water to come through."

"Will she let us fix it?" North prompts.

"Yes. I told her we'll be there at 8. She said she'll be waiting," he pauses as a smile comes over his face. "I told her I look forward to meeting her boyfriend."

"What!" North and I explode together.

Boyfriend? She doesn't have a boyfriend. No one lives in that house besides her!

"Mr. Korba," I switch to his formal name, my eyes narrowing seeing the amusement on his face. "Why are you smiling?"

"We know her boyfriend," he chuckles.

"What the hell are you talking about Si?" North asks, confusion lacing his voice.

"Her boyfriend," he stops to laugh. "It's *snort* Kota!"

Not being able to contain himself anymore, full bouts of laughter take over his body. North joins in a few seconds later, and together their laughter shakes the foundation of my house. Knowing I need to reel this in quickly, I straighten my tie and clear my throat, calling for their attention.

"Gentlemen, I think you are forgetting one very important thing." I say to them. "How exactly does she know Kota?"

Their eyes both open wide in shock as the meaning of what I've said hits them full force.

"Oh shit," North curses. "How could she have met him? Are we sure it's the same Kota? Mr. B, where was she today? You said she wasn't home."

"When I returned home from our family meeting, she wasn't home." I tell him.

"She told me that she had just gotten back from work." Silas inserts.

"Work? She has a job? Mr. B, when did she get a job? I thought you said she's been in her house since she moved in!?" North questions.

"Well she does need to make a living for herself living alone, doesn't she?" I send him a glare.

"Well yeah, but," he blusters. "Well where the fuck is she working!? And how the hell did she met Kota?"