I

*Faye*

I watched the lush forest meld into desolate, rocky plains. The desert was so dry and lifeless. Basically, it looked how I felt.

"We're almost there," a deep voice said.

My gaze instinctively flickered up to the rearview mirror. Maxen's emerald eyes met mine. Unlike in Oregon, the coldness was mostly gone and replaced by something brighter. Something like excitement.

As we passed a dusty hill, the makings of a small town rose up from the arid landscape. Most of the buildings were short and squat, including the residences lining the outskirts. The cracked, bumpy asphalt turned into fresh black pavement the closer we drew to civilization. Once we reached the town and were engulfed by its western antiquity, I realized how quiet it was. There were no pedestrians milling about. No cars darting between streets, aside from the ones parked along the curbs.

"Where is everyone?" I jumped at the sound of my own voice, not intending to voice my thoughts.

"Hiding," Maxen replied.

I gulped. That didn't sound good. I didn't bother asking why they were hiding. The answer would undoubtedly upset me more.

We led the caravan to the farest end of the small town and came to a halt in front of a group of two-story townhouses. The complex stretched down the street for at least half a mile in both directions. Each apartment was painted in either a soft yellow or creamy white with black or dark blue accents. The small strips of grass, which I assumed were supposed to serve as yards, were surprisingly lush. I didn't think it was possible for the Rogues to live here. It was so cozy and...human.

"Get out," Maxen ordered as he jerked my door open.

Only then did I realize everyone else had vacated the suburban. I unbuckled my belt and slid out of the car. He shut the door behind me and started towards the apartment we were closest to. I followed after him, though my eyes were observing the dozens of other Rogues heading into the other apartments.

Maxen held the door open for me, though he seemed to be getting impatient. I stepped into the foyer and looked around. The interior of the apartment wasn't anything extraordinary. It was decorated simply, nothing seeming cluttered or unnecessary. I actually liked the style. Everything flowed into the next.

"So," I said, turning back to face my enormous captor, "what's my purpose here again?"

"You will be working for me." His gaze lifted to mine before he strode out of the foyer and into the kitchen. "Whatever I need, you do."

Rather than responding, I checked the kitchen out. The space, like the foyer, was open and clean. The appliances weren't expensive or stainless steel, but they looked newer.

"This is my apartment," he told me. "And yours for the next week."

"I'm living here?"

"Is that a problem?" His eyes dared me to challenge him.

"Uh, no. I just...I don't know. It wasn't what I was expecting."

He crossed his beefy arms over his thick chest. "And what were you expecting?"

"I...I'm not sure."

"Then why—" Shaking his head, he stopped himself. He probably thought I was an idiot. Oh well.

"I thought I was supposed to be making an alliance between your pack and the town?" I said.

"I lied."

My mouth fell open. He lied? Why would he lie about that? I studied him mistrustfully.

"We have the town under perfect control. I don't want to make peace with the humans or attempt to find a balance with them." He rested his elbows on the granite island and rubbed his hands together. "We rule the humans. Period."

"You rule the humans?" I couldn't keep the doubt from my voice. This sounded like ludicrous.

"Yes."

"How?"

His tongue ran across his chapped lips while he considered how to respond. "When my Rogues first began banding together a few years ago, we decided this was a nice little area to settle in. Remote, open, yet supplied enough to support a decent life. So we harassed the city until they provided us with housing."

"Still doesn't add up," I insisted.

"Well, maybe I should add our famous little stunt of holding their loved ones against their will. Hostage situations always get the job done."

My fists tightened. "If you think so lowly of humans, then why did you bring me here?"

"Because, sweetheart, I needed some kind of payment from your Alpha, and there is nothing more valuable to him than his anima."

"So you're just going to order me around?"

"Look at you," he remarked with a sardonic grin. "Already catching on so quickly."

I refused to give him the satisfaction of seeing me roll my eyes. Everyone else may cower in his wake, but I wouldn't. Neither would I kiss his boots. Cold neutrality would be his only gain from me.

"Would you like to see your room?" he inquired, carefully analyzing my face.

"Sure."

We exited the kitchen and passed through a sunlit living room before reaching a short hall. Two doors marked the blank walls on either side of me, and Maxen opened the one on the right. I hesitantly followed him in.

The room was plain with two square windows covered with long, white drapes, a closet, and a bed. I noticed the closet was already lightly stocked and wondered if someone had lived in this room before me. Maybe I wasn't Maxen's first bargaining chip. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me.

"Bathroom's this way," he remarked, leading the way through the second door in the room.

My eyes roved the tan, ceramic bathroom. This was the nicest feature of the apartment. A white bathtub sat next to a large window with wavy privacy glass. The shower was a topless glass box with a large shower head that probably had several different pressures. I would have fun experimenting with that. Then the toilet was in its own little room with the sink.

Maxen moved to the third door in the bathroom, directly across from where I lingered in the threshold of my room. Smirking, he pulled the door open. I waited for him to explain the importance of the gesture.

"Sorry, sweets," he told me, "but it's a conjoined bathroom."

"Conjoined?"

"Yep. You and I get to share a toilet." He winked. "And I leave the seat up, so try not to fall in."

I withheld the sigh building in my chest. Of course. These doors better have locks, or there would soon be one less Rogue in the world.

"No snarky comment?" he challenged.

"Nope."

"Hmmm. I was hoping you'd have more of an attitude."

I shrugged.

"That's no fun. I should've taken the Beta's girl," he decided. "She looks like a firecracker."

My body tensed. "Are you talking about Sarah? Titus would kill you. Literally."

"I would like to see him try."

"I'm sure you would," I muttered. His arrogance was so annoying.

Stretching his arms over his head, the bottom of his shirt rode up and exposed the bulging muscles underneath. I blushed and looked away. He cocked his head to the side at my embarrassment.

"You poor modest little thing," he mockingly cooed. "There'll be a lot more skin where that came from."

I couldn't stop my worried gaze from shooting back up to his. What was he talking about? A lot more skin? Did he want to be castrated? Because I would totally do it.

"Come on, human." Maxen ushered me into my bedroom and back out to the main apartment. "Time to get dinner."