XVI

*Rian*

Leaving in the middle of the day and moving into the Rogue territory after resting would have been more ideal. I couldn't wait any longer, though. Faye had been hurt, and I couldn't wait another second to have her back in the security of my arms. Maxen's head would be at my feet before dawn tomorrow. Nothing would stop me.

My pack was anxious about this whole plan. Some were saying this was a rash decision, especially because we weren't certain how big their numbers were. Others, mainly the younger men, were excited. We were going to tap into our most primal instincts, something most of us didn't have the pleasure of doing on a normal basis.

Titus rolled up the map we'd been studying and turned to put it away. I grabbed his shoulder first. Curious, he glanced back at me.

"You have to stay here," I told him, wishing I didn't have to hear myself say this.

"Oh, come on, Rian." His face pinched in that infamous scowl. "I just won't kill anybody. I'm one of this pack's best fighters. You can't make me stay."

"I can, actually."

"I can control myself."

"Maybe you can," I allowed. "But maybe you can't. I'm not going to risk it. You are more important to me alive than dead."

We glowered at each other for a moment before he spoke again.

"You are making a mistake," he told me. "Rian, I know you're going to make a great Alpha, but this—keeping me from doing what I am good at—is a mistake."

"Feel that way all you'd like. As long as you're alive, I don't care." I took a deep breath. "Stay here. Don't test me, Titus."

Shrugging stiffly, he walked over to my couch and dropped onto it. I clenched my jaw and headed outside. It was time to leave. The moon was perched overhead, lighting my path down the street. My pack was standing in formation while awaiting my command. A surge of confidence ran through me. Just when I caught a glimpse of Brian's smaller band, who were idly lying in the grass, my mother appeared and stepped in front of me.

"Where's Titus?" she asked, worried.

"He's back in the house," I replied before trying to maneuver around her.

The stubborn woman blocked me again. "Rian, you can't leave him here."

"It's for the better, Mother. He can't kill and we need someone to stay here to keep watch."

"Keep watch?" She wasn't impressed with my excuse. "Titus is a well-trained, highly-skilled fighter. Like you. Your life will be at a higher risk if you go without him. You know he won't let you get killed."

"I am perfectly capable of defending myself!"

"Have you ever heard the story of the girl with the pearls?"

I blinked at her for a moment. "What? I don't have time for this."

"There once was a little girl," she started anyway, "and her mother gave her a beautiful string of pearls—"

"Mother."

"The little girl loved these pearls so much that she wanted to protect them. So she put them in a box and put the box under her bed."

"Please—"

"As the girl grew older, she was invited to many parties and lovely events, but she never wore her pearl necklace. Her first palooza came, but she didn't wear them. Her wedding arrived, but she didn't wear them. Her husband's funeral passed, but she didn't wear them."