XXXIX

*Faye*

My hair found itself in the gross, tangly state that happened when it was windblown. While I worked on pulling the knots out with my fingers, Rian changed into the clothes I'd just purchased for him at the dollar store. They weren't the most fashionable clothes, but I didn't have much money in my wallet to work with.

We were hiding in the woods on the border of some small town. A Pendleton or something. Rian knew where we were, somehow. I was beginning to wish I had his amazing knack for geography. Now that he had clothes, we could find a motel or something to catch some rest. We had so much to talk about, but I needed food and he needed a shower.

I glanced at him over my shoulder. He was zipping up the khaki shorts I'd grabbed, which were still somehow baggy on him. His entire body was thinner than before, not that he'd ever been beefy or even very muscular. The cotton v-neck didn't hide the way his collar bones stuck out, and the sandals only served to show off his hairy, dirty feet.

"You checking me out?" Rian inquired with a smirk.

"What can I say?" I flashed him my teeth. "I just can't help myself."

"I know, I'm irresistible."   

"Mhm. You're starting to sound like Titus now."

Snorting, he wrapped his arm around my waist and guided me into the street. The downtown area was only a few blocks ahead. If my phone wasn't dead, I could have researched some places for us to stay.

We found a bed and breakfast snuggled between a cozy residential district just before reaching the start of commercial downtown. A small desk was situated just inside the door, though no one was present to help us. Rian pressed the annoying little bell on the desk. After a moment, he reached to tap it again before I swatted his hand away.

"What?" he asked, evidently hurt by my gesture.

"Just give them a second," I replied. "Those bells are so rude."

He rolled his eyes. "They put it there for a reason. Besides, I'm starting to be able to smell myself and it's not yummy."

A lady emerged from a room off to the right, and, after recovering from her surprise, pasted a smile across her face. "Well, hello there. I didn't realize I was expecting guests this morning."

"We don't have reservations," I admitted, "but we were hoping you could squeeze us into a room."

"Let me check our availability." She pulled out a book from within the desk and flipped to the desired page. Looking up at me from over her glasses, she said, "Looks like the Yellow Room is available."

Obviously, we wanted whatever we could get, but I wasn't sure I had enough money. This place was really cute and should have been cheaper than a hotel, but I wasn't sure.

"We'll take it," Rian answered for me.
I bit my lip. Sensing my angst, he rubbed my back.

"For how many nights?" she asked.

"Just one."

"Okie doke," the lady spoke cheerily as she grabbed a chunky metal key from under the desk. "If you'll just follow me—Oh. Where are your bags?"

"Um, we took a spontaneous trip," I replied perhaps a little too quickly.

"Oh...alright then." Shrugging, she motioned for us to follow her up the staircase.

Everything about this house sung rich history. My fingers swept up the slick wood banister until we reached the top of the stairs and veered right. The hall had pink wallpaper dotted with flowers, and there seemed to be about five bedrooms up here.