X

*Rian*

"You...I...How...?"

Snickering, Titus pulled me in for a hug. "I'm already leaving you speechless again. How flattering."

"You're awake?" I finally choked out. "Like, you're real?"

"Do I not look real to you?" he playfully demanded, pretending to be offended.

Inexplicable joy flowed through me. I jerked him back into a hug and slapped his back a few times. This was unbelievable. He was back. Really, truly back.

"The healer worked her magic," Sarah informed me as she reached the door. "He woke up in the middle of the night but only just gained the strength to stand this morning."

"Why didn't you come get me?" I asked.

"Well..." Embarrassed, she turned her face away. "You haven't been yourself, Alpha. I didn't want to disturb your sleep."

Her response took me aback. I haven't been myself? Was my stress that obvious? Sarah had always been unusually observant but still. If the rest of the pack noticed, they probably continued to believe I was weak.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to calling you Alpha," Titus said. "Too weird. Can't do it."

"It's okay. I'm just glad to have you back. You have no idea how glad I am."

Though he rolled his eyes, they revealed that a part of him was truly touched. "Don't be getting all soft on me. I heard that we have things to do today!"

I quirked an eyebrow at Sarah. Before she could explain, a tall, thin woman appeared behind them. Her skin was a ghostly white and her blue eyes stood out sharply from the rest of her face. A snarl almost escaped me until I realized who she was.

"You're the healer," I assumed.

"Yes." She nodded and stepped closer as Sarah and Titus gave her room. "For security purposes, you really ought to scan whoever you allow to stay in your pack houses. If I had wronged you, you never wouldn't have been able to identify me."

My shoulders squared defensively. "Are you trying to imply something here?"

"Not at all," she replied innocently. "I'm just warning you for future...visitors."

"Right. Is there anything you would like to tell me about Titus?"

Her eyes flickered to him before returning to me. Everything about her was cold and emotionless, almost robotic. "Only that he should rest. His body is very weak from the state he was in, so he needs plenty of sleep and fluids. If he doesn't, he may risk falling back into the...coma."

That was all she needed to say. I narrowed my eyes on Titus and barked out, "Go get your skinny butt back in that bed."

His mouth fell open. "What? You can't be serious."

"Dead serious."

"I'm perfectly fine, Ri—"

"Titus," I snarled, a warning.

Sighing in frustration, he turned around and limped off to his bedroom. Sarah shared a brief victorious grin with me before following after him. I wanted to be by his side, too, but I needed to further this conversation with the healer.

"Will you come with me?" I asked the stoic blonde. "I have a few more things to ask you."

After complying, I brought her back to the Alpha house and fetched her a glass of water. I felt guilty about not checking in on her more, though I was sure Sarah hadn't forgotten to feed or care for her anima's only hope.

"Thank you for healing Titus," I told her.

"It's my job. You're welcome."

"Right. Are you a wolf? You smell but certainly don't look like one."

The tiniest hint of a smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "No, I'm not a wolf. Your musty smells just cling to me. Wolves are the only people I associate with."

"Interesting. Okay, well, I wanted to ask you about my anima's scratch. Part of the deal is that you heal the wound I inflicted on her," I said, gauging her response. When she nodded, I continued. "What, exactly, is an Alpha wound? Why doesn't it heal properly?"

"Obviously, the Alpha of each pack is given certain—shall we say—powers? You can control anyone in your pack with a single word and make them do whatever you want. No?"

"That's right," I reluctantly admitted.

"In addition to that, your wound will inflict more damage. You're also likely to be more athletic than the normal wolf and exceptionally good at fighting. It's all part of being Alpha."

"But you don't know why? It's not like a genetic thing?"

"Not that I'm aware of. It's all very mysterious."

I nodded. That was to be expected. "So, you'll be able to heal Faye?"

"I should be. I've healed Alpha wounds before, no problem."

"How long will it take?"

"Just a day or so. Not nearly as long as it took to heal your friend. Then again, this was the first time this has ever worked in our favor. Normally, the wolf dies."

The water I'd been drinking went down the wrong pipe, and I started choking. "What? The wolf normally dies?"

"Yes. I've never seen a wolf come out of that state. It's like some wolves just weren't meant to be killers, so when they do kill, it destroys them."

"So he'll never be able to kill again?"

"Not without risking his mind."

I sighed. Her words came with many different implications, most of which I didn't like.

"Are you returning to Maxen now?" I asked, no longer wishing to dwell on my crippled friend.

"As soon as you release me, yes."

"Is it possible for you to give Faye a phone to call me with? I haven't heard from her since she left, and I'm worried."

Shaking her head, she answered, "No. Maxen wouldn't allow it."

"Of course. How'd you come to work for that jerk anyway?"

"It's a long story, Alpha Rian."

"I'm just curious as to why people remain so loyal to him. Is it out of fear? Or what?"

An eerie smile crept across her cheeks. "Not fear. Adoration."

"Adoration? Why would you adore a monster like him?"

"He's far from a monster, Alpha," she said, her smile never fading. "I'm sure your anima will be able to tell you all about it when she returns. Nobody can resist him."

My fists clenched. Those words conjured up too many disturbing ideas, and I snarled in response. I'd had enough of her games.

"Leave," I hissed.

"With pleasure." She rose from the table and headed for the front door, her stick-straight hair brushing her back as she walked.

She didn't know anything. Faye would never betray me. Though I knew this, I still couldn't erase the doubt from my mind.