XIV

*Rian*

Darkness had set in over the forest, the last golden rays of sunlight slipping below the mountain crests in the distance. I stood on the hill and felt the earth move around me. This was my hideaway. When I was a teenager and just getting accustomed to transitions, I would come here. It helped to escape prying eyes. The love and support of a pack was priceless at that stage of a wolf's life, but sometimes it could get overwhelming.

The wind changed direction and carried a familiar scent to my nose. Although I didn't turn to face him, I heard my father's cautious approach. I wasn't even sure how he found me. This hill was miles from our pack, just on the border of our territory.

This place is beautiful, he mindcommed me. How did you find it?

Aimless wandering, I replied, not feeling the need to explain any further.

As he took his place beside me, gingerly resting back on his haunches, he lifted his nose to the wind. I took a whiff, too. It smelled like daisies and an oncoming rainstorm.

So. You know you need to officially declare your Beta and Gamma soon. My father glanced over at me, his gray fur blowing in the wind. With all the action with Maxen and Faye's father, we need to be prepared for anything. We need a solid chain of command.

Nodding, I agreed.

Rian...Alpha...I want you to see the urgency—

It's still Rian. Don't call me Alpha.

You know it's your title now. We're all obliged to call you by that.

A surly growl curled my lips. Not that I'm wild about it. I just need time to adjust.

Now he stretched out on his stomach and rested his head on top of his paws. He was deeply considering something. Finally, he thought, We may not have the time to let you adjust. I'm sorry. That's just how it is.

It's not that I don't know who I want to be my second and third in command. Actually, it's because I know who I'm choosing that I don't want to hold the official coronation.

I don't understand, he admitted, raising his head and turning his ears to face me.

I jumped to all four feet and turned away from the hilltop, starting back down the path. My peace here had been ransacked. My father quickly followed after me.

Rian, he pleaded, explain yourself. Please.

I don't have to explain anything to you.

What's the big deal?

My temper spiked. Whirling around, I let out a full, threatening snarl as my hackles rose. The big deal is that I had to tell my best friend he couldn't be my Beta. I had to tell him that I couldn't rely on him anymore, because of something he can't even help. He thinks I've betrayed him in some way, and I don't know how to fix it. That's the big deal!

With a low whine, my father lowered his forelegs to bow submissively to me. Although I hated the gesture, it was still empowering. I snapped at him to get back up, to which he obeyed.

I understand the restrictions that would come with having Titus as your Beta, he acquiesced. But who is your choice now?

This suddenly felt so strange. A week ago, I wouldn't have dreamt of handing the Beta title over to my father. He and I never got along, not even when I was a child. I used to think it was because Thea was his favorite, but time had revealed otherwise. Although my sister had been shown unusual grace for inheriting the human rather than the wolf gene, she was not my father's favorite. He didn't have favorites. He was just selfish.

Yet here I was, giving him the second most important role in the pack. It was awkward and unforeseen, but he was my best option. Besides, I had to consider what Rosco would have done, what any good leader would do. He would put aside personal prejudices for the sake of the pack. From where I stood, my father seemed like the best bet for our pack's well-being.

You, I finally replied before trotting off into the forest.

My father didn't bother trying to keep up with me. When I reached the village, the street was packed with wolves. Most of them were from my pack. Some of them were not. I let out a long, furious growl as I approached. The wolves who were not mine spun to face me, snarling and snapping at will. That was when I noticed the human. Faye's father, Brian. He lifted his hands in surrender.

Fury shot through my veins, and I nearly gave into the impulse to tear him to shreds. Nearly. Instead, I stalked towards him, lips pulled back to flash his pets my teeth. Their growls grew louder though they didn't deter me in the least bit. My pack outnumbered them twenty-to-one. Considering Brian's little crew consisted of Omegas and Rogues, they couldn't fight well to begin with.

A brown wolf stepped between Brian and I when I came too close for comfort. I remained where I was, though I didn't take my eyes off Faye's father. For whatever reason, he didn't budge or say a word. I snapped my jaws at him. My patience was running low; I didn't want to spend my time dealing with him.

"I came back to make you a proposition," he quickly said, raising his hands higher. "I know you told me not to, but I paid your pal, Maxen, a visit. He has Faye there, but he's hiding her. He wouldn't let me see her!"

Had the idiot not listened to a word I said before? In one swift move, I transitioned into my human body. Brian measured me cautiously. Uncomfortable, the brown wolf shifted out of the way. I crossed my arms over my chest and took a deep breath.

"I told you to leave us alone," I reminded him, obviously not pleased about this. "Why are you here?"

"Because..." He wet his lips. "Because I need your help."

"Help for what?"

"Look, I don't know what you think those people are doing with my daughter, but I doubt it's reality. They had her locked up somewhere, Rian," he told me, eyes shining in an earnest attempt to win me over.

That did bother me a little bit. Maxen said he was using her to communicate with the town they lived in. How could she be doing that if she was locked away?

"He probably hid her because you were there," I replied, unconvinced.

"Or because he is doing things to her that would make me want to kill him."

"Maxen understands what will happen to him if he so much as touches Faye. If you have done anything to make him retaliate, I should warn you of the same consequence."

The tendon in Brian's jaw twitched. "You're not listening to me. He could be hurting Faye right now, and you wouldn't even know. By the time you see her, it may be too late. Revenge wouldn't bring her back."

"Don't say another word," I warned.

"You need—"

"Titus, bring me my cell phone."

I turned away from Brian to see almost the whole pack surrounding us. Only a few remained in their human forms, watching the ordeal take place through wary expressions. Titus returned a minute later in his human form, my phone in hand. I began to call Maxen as I put some distance between me and everybody else. It rang three times before going to voicemail. I called again.

"What?" snapped a familiar voice.

"It's me, Rian. I need to speak with F—"

A scream ripped through the background of his side of the line. Every nerve and muscle fiber of my body stilled. That scream. I knew it was Faye. She screamed again, sounding pained and scared. Why didn't the anima bond send me these feelings? Shouldn't I have felt this?

I threw my phone across the street where it struck one of the cottages and splintered into a dozen pieces. Spinning around, I stormed back into the crowd. My pack awaited my order, sensing what was to come.

"Everyone be ready to leave in five!" I yelled. "Titus, get me a map of northern Nevada."