VI

*Rian*

Hours had trickled by. Somehow, the entire night had passed without my knowledge and I found myself watching the sunrise through the window in Rosco's old office. I wondered if he ever did this, woke up early enough to see the blazing star make its first appearance of the day.

They had tried to scrub his scent from every floorboard of the house, particularly the office. I assumed they thought it would depress me. It didn't, though. Rosco was a good Alpha, and his scent made me feel closer to him. I gained some odd sense of hope from it. Like maybe someday I might stand a chance at being as good as him.

A knock sounded on the heavy oak door. I didn't bother turning away from the window or my nostalgic thoughts.

"Not right now," I said.

"Rian, it's me," called my father through the door.

"I'm busy. Come back in a few hours."

The door swung open. "This is urgent. There's no time to wait."

"What is it?" I demanded impatiently.

"Faye's father called. He has Thea."

I blinked. "What?"

"His men are holding her hostage back in Georgia. He's saying he won't release her unless you give him Faye's location."

"You've got to be kidding me."

"I wish I was. Rian, we have to do something. Your mother is in hysterics right now."

Muttering a curse under my breath, I dragged my hands through my hair. I should've gotten some sleep. One idiotic choice after another.

"Is he still on the line?" I asked.

"He was a minute ago."

Grinding my teeth together, I fought down the urge to transition right then. I had to control my impulses again. They were coming back stronger now without Faye here.

"Forward the call up to me." The order fell sharply off my tongue.

My father left the room at a brisk walk. A moment later, the telephone on my desk blinked with an incoming call. I fisted my right hand and picked up the receiver with my left.

"Mr. Derby," I greeted frostily. "I hear you've resorted to a new low. Taking hostages now, are we?"

"All I want is my daughter's location, Rian. It's not hard. Tell me and I'll let your sister go."

"Why won't you trust me? Faye is safe. Safer than she would be with you."

"There is no one she is safer with than me, son."

I released a sharp breath. "How do I even know you have Thea?"

"I can have one of my men with her call you, but only after we've settled this."

"And how do I know you won't hurt her anyway? Regardless of whether I give you Faye's location or not?"

He uttered a single, harsh chuckle. "You might be a savage, but I am not. I don't want to hurt anyone. I just want my daughter back."

My mind worked through the possibilities while I tapped on the smooth desktop. If I revealed Faye's whereabouts and Mr. Derby moved in on her, Maxen might hurt her. If I didn't, Thea's well-being was on the line. Making me choose between my anima and my sister was quite the play. Well done, Mr. Derby.

"I will tell you where she is," I complied, "but you have to understand something first."

"And that is?"

"The people holding her will hurt her if you try to take her. If you think I'm a savage, these people will seem like barbarians. You cannot go looking for her."

"What else do you think I plan to do? Just go check on her?" He laughed cynically. "You have a lot to learn, son."

My voice deepened menacingly. "If you wish to be alive, I suggest you leave Faye alone."

"Is that a threat?"

"It's a promise. If Maxen doesn't kill you first, I'll finish the job myself. I don't care what you mean to Faye if you endanger her life."

"Don't make threats you can't carry out."

"Who says I won't?"

"You've never taken a life. You can't expect me to believe I'll be your first."

It was my turn to laugh. "Oh, Mr. Derby. You have no idea who you're messing with. There are things about me even Faye has yet to discover. Your blood wouldn't be the first to stain my hands."

The line was quiet for a few seconds. Then Faye's father came back with a controlled steel to his words.

"Tell me where my daughter is or your sister dies."

This was no longer up to me. If I let anything happen to my sister, I would never be able to forgive myself. I didn't believe Maxen would actually harm Faye if her father found them, but I hoped he would put Mr. Derby back in his place.

"Faye is in Nevada. A small, northeastern town," I said with a deep breath. "Remember my warning, Mr. Derby."

"It's just Brian, okay? If you're issuing death threats, you may as well know my name. Now, stay out of my way. I wouldn't want your sister to find herself in harm's way."

I growled. "I told you where Faye is. Now let Thea go."

"She will be set free as soon as this call ends. I don't break my promises."

"Neither do I."

The line went dead.

My hands were shaking as I slammed the receiver down onto the desk. The perfectly maintained desktop now had a dent. I picked up the entire phone and chucked it across the room. Hitting the far wall, it exploded into a hundred tiny plastic pieces.

The door opened again and my father stepped in. Concern flashed through his eyes.

"Get Thea on the next flight out here," I ordered. "And tell that healer to get up here before I rip someone's head off."

Nodding, my father retreated just as quickly as he'd entered. I turned back to the window to seethe in silence. The sun had now crept completely over the horizon of trees and distant hills. I wondered if I would be responsible for more death by the time that sun sunk out of sight this evening.

I knew what monster paced within me. If Brian dared to tempt it, he would regret every decision he'd ever made. Murder was easy. Faye's grief and mistrust would be the hard part.

But sometimes a wolf does things he wishes he didn't have to.