Part 4

"What're you doing in here?" Tara smiled as she came in, closing the door behind her.

I shrugged, "Just figured I'd come steal your bed, nothing big."

"Yeah," Carl added, "She also said she could beat you in a fight."

My eyes got wide as I shushed him, "No I didn't-"

"Oh really?" Tara asked jokingly as she cracked her knuckles.

"Nope, no, I surrender!" I laughed, putting my hands up in front of me.

"Yeah, that's what I thought!" She exclaimed, chucking over a pillow from the bed at me.

"Fine, I'll just take the floor." I chuckled, tossing the pillow on the carpeted ground.

"Why are you staying in here anyway?" She asked, handing me a blanket that was folded at the end of one of the two twin beds, "Didn't Richard give you and Daryl a room?"

I shrugged, sitting down and pulling the blanket up over my legs as Tara and Carl slid into their bed, "Things have been a little tense ever since getting back.. I think we just need some space."

"I'm not a couples councilor or anything," Carl joked as he turned over in bed, "But I think you two should just kiss and make up."

I laughed, pulling the blanket up further, "A+ advice-- I'll be sure to mention that to him if we ever talk again."

"Is it really that bad?" Tara asked, looking down at me, "If you want, I could go in there tonight and talk some sense into him or something."

I shook my head, "It's just- I think it's something that's gonna take time.. between me and him, you know?"

She sighed, leaning back, "I just hope you two work through it; you guys were like, my favorite pairing."

I nodded, laying my head on the pillow as I let out a quiet sigh, not knowing what was going to happen between me and Daryl, "We'll see.."

***

Just after the sun began to rise, we all headed out, meeting with Richard and following him to see the King once again.
The walk was quiet, only being filled with the crunching of gravel beneath everyone's feet, as the tension in the air between Daryl and I was still thick from the night before.

"This is life here," Ezekiel said as he looked over his kingdom, "Everyday-- but it came at a cost." He slowly turned around to face us, "And I wanted more of this, I wanted to expand, to create more places like this.. men and women lost their limbs and children lost their parents because I sent them into battle against the wasted when I did not need to.

Rick shook his head, "This is different-"

"It isn't." King Ezekiel cut him off.

"It is." Rick corrected him, "The dead don't rule us; the world doesn't look like this outside your walls and people don't have it as good-- some people don't have it good at all."

"I have to worry about my people." Ezekiel reminded.

"Ya call yourself a damn king," Daryl scoffed, "Ya sure as hell don't act like one."

"All of this.. it came at a cost." Ezekiel began, stepping up to Daryl, "It was lives, arms, legs.." He explained, pointing to the people in the distance before going back over to where Rick stood.
"The peace we have with the Saviors is uneasy, but it is peace. I have to hold onto it-- I have to try." He said before looking back over the group of us that stood before him, "Although the Kingdom cannot grant you the aid you desire, the King is sympathetic to your plight; I offer our friends Daryl and Liz asylum for as long as they do so require it, they will be safe here for the Saviors do not set foot inside our walls."

My heart hitched at his offer, although kind, the last thing I wanted to do was stay in another strange place alone with Daryl, who I obviously wasn't getting along with at the moment.

"How long do ya think that's gonna last?" Daryl asked lowly, regarding the safety of the Kingdom, before walking away from the group, the rest of us soon following.

"This is ridiculous," I mumbled lowly as I walked between Jesus and Tara, "I don't want to stay here-- I just want to finally be back in Alexandria.."

"None of us like it anymore than you do," Tara reassured, "But there's no doubt that dirtbag has people out looking for both of you; Alexandria's gonna be the first place they look."

"Hey, and if all goes well," Jesus said, placing his arm around my shoulder, "You'll be back before you know it."

I let a sigh out, leaning into him as we continued to walk, "Hopefully."

_____
Just so you guys don't get any ideas, Jesus is also gay in this fanfic, so there won't be anything romantic going on between him and Liz at all

Also, after last nights season premiere, I have an amazing, drastic, character arch that I want Liz to have, so please prepare yourselves.. it may get a little dark.