3. war of the gummy bears

monday

you heard the door open next to you, causing you to over at the boy. he was finally out and it appeared as if his hair was almost dry.

men have it so easy

"so, what class do you have next?" he asked, fixing his backpack so it would stop slipping from his shoulder. 

"stupid culinary. what about you?" it was a love-hate relationship with you and culinary. you weren't quite sure if you liked the class, or liked the fact that you didn't do much in it. either way, it gave you easy points for your gpa, hence you took it again this year.

evan perked up at your words. "me too!" he exclaimed excitedly, similar to a puppy who had just received a treat for his good behavior. you didn't even know the kid that well but it seemed like he had taken a liking to you.

you entertained the thought. what was wrong with making a new friend? liv didn't count much as she just wanted to use you, but this guy really liked you. even though you didn't make the best first impression, of course.

"well, do you want to be my first culinary partner for the year?" you asked, sneaking your arm to grip onto his, causing him to twitch slightly.

"sure." he replied with a minor voice crack. he removed your arm from his and instead put it around your shoulders, pulling you closer to him.

this caught you by surprise, and out of instinct you moved away from him, to which he slightly frowned.

"look, we're here." you stopped in your tracks, slowly opening the door to step inside. you took your seat in the back of the class, while evan sat right beside you.

the teacher began blabbing on about the process and the ingredients to make gummy bears. he also mentioned that we would be going into groups of three.

you and evan looked at each other and nodded, as if you had just used telepathy to partner up. you then scanned the room as you looked for someone to become the third person in your group and complete your trio. finally, your eyes landed upon kyran.

you, alec and kyran used to be the main three. you were almost inseparable. that is until preschool came around.

evan motioned the boy to your group, receiving a look of disbelief. you rolled your eyes and motioned him to you as well; this time, he nodded.

you and kyran still kept in touch every now and then, unlike alec who lost nearly all contact due to kyran's pettiness. even though you didn't talk much, you were still quite comfortable with each other.

"hey (y/n), who's this?" kyran asked, his eyes trailing to evan.

"evan. who're you?" evan answered for you; his tone had completely changed compared to when you were talking to him.

"uh, kyran." kyran replied. he was always quite awkward around new people, which would explain his change of tone as well.

"alright guys, let's just get to making these gummy bears!" you chimed, trying to break the uncomfortable ambience the two had just created amongst the group. they nodded and grabbed the supplies, heading their own separate ways.

"mm. oh my god ky, these are actually so good." you stuffed your face with the gummy bears, eagerly trying to fit them all into your mouth to see what flavor they'd create. you were still hungry from earlier so you couldn't help yourself.

"hey, i helped too!" evan cried, upset that you'd only given credit to kyran. you didn't do much of the work, besides gathering the ingredients and bothering the guys as they took turns watching the pot. this consisted of bombarding them with stupid questions, annoyingly poking them, or messing with the food.

not long after, the bell rang, signaling you to finally fill your stomach with the sorry excuse of cafeteria food.

evan stayed behind for a bit to clean up the remaining dishes. he told you to wait outside and that it shouldn't take long, so you did.

"it was nice talking to you again." kyran smiled warmly at you. you had forgotten how fun it was to actually hang out with him. even though he was an awkward guy, he still had his moments where he'd open up to you.
you missed the times when it was just the
three of you. when you and alec would tease him, and kyran would only start to get red from embarrassment. or when you and kyran would sneak into alec's house to annoy him while he wanted privacy. he soon walked away; assumingely to his own friend group.

as even finally stepped out of the classroom, he decided to examine your features. he never got the chance to really look at you since your eyes were always on him every-time he would attempt to. he admired your bouncy (h/c) hair, and your pretty (e/c) eyes. the way your outfit sat perfectly on your body as if it were made especially for you. he was almost jealous of how pretty you were, and he would have been if it wasn't for your charm; this only added on to your attractiveness.

you finally noticed him staring at you, and instead of making fun of him for it, you decide to just let it slide. you didn't want to waste any more time, you were dying of starvation here! "ready to go?"

he nodded.
there was a small, comfortable silence filling the two of you. you started thinking of questions you could ask. you did just meet the guy, so why wouldn't you want to get to know him? before you could open your mouth, your favorite red haired boy filled your peripheral vision. looking over to your left, you noticed him hesitating on whether he should walk over to you, or leave you be with the new male walking by your side.

you ran to him, locking his hand with yours and bringing him over to evan. "evan this is alec; alec this is evan." you weren't quite sure of what to say as your words lingered awkwardly in the air. both boys stayed quiet, eyeing each other with a serious look in their face.

"cool.. well i'll be off now, i have a band to attend to. catch ya later (n/n)!"

"(n/n)?" you asked; the nickname he gave you rung in your head like an echo.

"yup!" he chimed, giving you one last wink and walking away.

"he's fucking weird." alec tsked as he intently stared at the boy who disappeared from your view as he turned the corner.

"watch your language, kid" you scolded, like a mom who had just heard her child curse for the first time.

he only shrugged as you began making your way to lunch once again.