Chapter 1- The New World

I stepped out of the car into the warm afternoon and stopped to look around. My loose curls shifted off my shoulders as the wind blew into me and from the countless trees looming high above, it was clear we were deep in the woods. The air in the dimension was different, alien almost. I turned around and came face to face with my new home. White marble glistened across the entire surface of the castle, guarded by a gate made of gold and golden armour men at every corner and entrance. I was still looking around when she reached for my attention. 

"Child?" My mother started, "I know you don't want to get married to this prince, but you are doing this for your people, make sure you do not mess this up for everyone," she finished with a fake smile and venom in her voice. Mother believed in the saying 'it's her way or the high way' especially with a husband who spoiled her and only served by her wants. 

Parts of her dark skin reflected the golden shine of the gate and the sun as she stood there waiting, her back to me now covered by waist length sister-locs.

She was a strong minded woman even when I tried to rebel and I knew I couldn't win when it came down to her, but I was always confident there were other times I could get my way. 

Now I was faced with a blood thirsty vampire, who's temper was as thin as a thread and it seems its that confidence and my own fault why I fell into that position. 

***Flashback***

Walking through the halls of my parent's castle, each guard and servant that past me they bow their heads respectfully and continued to walk by. I heard the doors to my parents dwelling place slam open causing me to halt in my steps, curiosity got the best of me and I followed , where I stop in front of the red drapes that was behind my parents throne, I created a tiny peep-hole between the drapes, to make sure that no-one didn't know I was listening in on their conversation.

"Your royal majesties, there is an intruder in our Kingdom saying that he is from the first dimension and that he has a message for you both, what are your demands?" It went silent before mother starts to laugh.

"That's preposterous, those doors have been sealed off after the last gifted died, tsk, tsk what to do but to throw him to the lions, I think my babies need some red meat what do you think my handsome mate?"

A smile grew on fathers face after mother address him as her mate, because in all truth and reality they weren't. Many people believe that they are by the way they look at each other, but they meet through an arranged marriage.

"Athena, I know you're there step out from behind the drapes," I was named after the goddess of war. Because in my culture we wait until a child is two to name them, because at that age they can show some of their personality, at that time I was always fascinated with knives.

Stepping out from behind the drapes and looking at the guards as they bowed their heads at me when I was now in their presents, "Now mother is this really the way you should deal with this matter?" She arched her brow and look at me as if I grew two heads.

She turned her head to father for help but all he said was, "Let the child speak," hiding my smile from view, I could tell that mother wasn't pleased with that.

"Please bring the messenger forward, we should at least hear what he has to say," the guard shift his eyes to my father waiting for confirmation and when he did he left.

Mother look over at my father saying "You have to be joking, are you really going to listing to her, she is young and naïve."

Father rubbed his temples "Elizabeth my love don't be stubborn, I was the same age as she was when I use to help my mother make her decisions, I was just as young and naive, and the time for her to take the crown is almost near and then you and I can live a quiet life together, " I spun around when the doors reopened allowing a man to walk in, his hair was black, with dark brown eyes, a strong nose, a chiselled jawline, his skin was tanned and a body that no woman could help but to lust for.

"Speak," I said, giving my first command.

"My name is Hermes I am_" I cut him off.

"The god of boundaries, communication, thievery, trickery, language, writing, diplomacy, athletics, but you also deliver messages for the gods, why are you here?" I asked as I cut his long rant short.

I could feel the stares in the room when everyone realised that I wasn't just a pretty face but I had enough book knowledge, "I heard you were smart just as beautiful, but I thought they were joking."

Arching my brow I reply, "Get to the point."

He cleared his throat and handed me a white scroll with golden handles, slowly I open it, my palms were sweaty and for some strange reason a drop of sweat fell from my forehead. I read through the scroll numerous times. The rate of my heartbeat sped up, the scroll slip out of my hand and hit the floor with a loud clang, "he cannot be serious?"

"Who is it from and what does it say child?" I heard my mother asking.

"It is from the second dimension, the King of vampires is asking for my hand in marriage to his son."

***End of flashback***

Never in my entire seventeen years of being alive have I ever regretted being curious. Maybe I should have allowed mother to feed Hermes to the lions. At least I wouldn't have to waste my time in this toxic dimension called Earth.

The guy that was standing at the doors came and greeted us "Welcome your royal highness's I'm sorry the Prince wasn't here to meet you personally due to him being busy, but I will be the one to show you to your room today."

He said while walking up the staircase when we were finally inside it was breathtaking, the staircase was gold and black, and the chandeliers looked like they were made out of diamonds. 'Are they real?' I thought to myself.

"Yes they are," He answered, when I look at him surprised he continued with, "I'm telepathic, anyways, your room is this way," he says opening up a door.

"And your room ma'am is this way," he says, before turning and pointing at a door.

Shaking her head "I'm leaving tonight, but I will be checking in on my daughter every now and again," she said while he nodded his head and left us so we could say our goodbyes.

Mother reminded me of how important this was to her, and to our family, not only that but to Helix. After mother left the room, I stood on the balcony and look down and took in the beautiful sight, and started to mentally prepare myself for what was to come.