Chapter 11- Fire

Athena POV...

Overwhelmed. That's how I was feeling right now, to have the men that I trained side to side with, walk up to me, hug me, and join us at the table for breakfast.

Luther sat at the head of the table and watched as my brothers bombard me with questions of a world, they have yet to see. Time has had no effect on him, his cotton like hair was cut low, his centaur body tower over everyone. And though time has not aged him, he was filled with much wisdom and knowledge.

I could tell by their many questions they were happy to see me, but there was one person that was missing from this interrogation, "Where's Heath?" I ask aloud. The twins turn, and look at each other, while Lance and Trayvon remained quiet, and looking at our master, "Luther?"

"After you left he has been somewhat distant from all of us, you were his right hand and the only person that understood him. After reading the letter you wrote, he just shut down afterwards."

"Where is he now?"

"Usually he leaves to go for a run, he should be back-," Trayvon stop in mid-sentence when we turned to see who was there.

"Heath?" I sent a smile his way, but all I got in return was a cold look, and him walking into his tent.

I look at Luther before I could ask he nods his head, "you may be excused."

Walking to his tent, I move the extra material out of the way that blocked the entrance, and entered, "I've missed you," I said to him.

His back was facing me, the muscles that were in his back tensed up, he ran his hand through his thick, black hair, that was filled with much body and bounce. His fair skin shows all his old scars that he suffered as a child littering his back, "some nerve you have to come back, what got tired of the second dimension, just like you did with us."

"Heath, do not be like this, you know I have a responsibility to my people before anyone."

"I know the people you're talking about, is it the same people your parents hid your existence from for years and still are, but your brethren's who embrace you, and were there for you when your friend got ripped away from you, you think we do not hold the same importance to you as them?"

"You and I both know why my parents hid me away from my people, for my safety," I snapped, "And you know I care about everyone in this camp."

"Because of the war that happened! That was years ago you were what 11, 12?... You're 17 now, your parents are cowards," He grabs a piece of parchment paper, "but the people who have been there for you for years, and are willing to sacrifice their life for yours, this is how you thank us by sending us a scroll, telling us you're leaving, instead of to our face, don't we at least deserve that?"

"Why are you acting like this, I am back now."

"That is true, but for how long?" He asks rhetorically.

"Heath please, help me understand, what I can do to change this."

"I really wish I could princess," he walks past me and exits out the tent. 

I allowed a tear to slip, I gathered myself together and walk out the tent. I join the boys at the table and watch as they were all staring at Heath and me. 

"Ajax could you please hand me the fruit salad," I said trying to kill the awkward silence.

"See this is why camp, designed for warriors are not meant for females, their emotional and weak."

"Gabe, enough,"Luther says as I tighten my grip on the knife.

 "But am I wrong, since she's been here, she's only caused pure troub-" a knife went flying across the table cutting bits of his hair. 

I turn and look at Heath realizing he was the one who sent it flying, "you will respect those who came, and trained before you, and she is one of our best warrior, that have taken us all down single-handedly, my advice to you newbie is to hold your tongue," he dared Gabe to fire back at him, but instead Gabe held his head down, and continued to eat.

"I believe with that said, Gabe I have not appointed the person who will be your partner, and I believe the right person for that should be Athena, she will definitely straighten out your kinks, what do you say men?"

They all look at each other, and back at me, they all said "Aye," I look over at Heath who has yet to answer. He looks down at me and held my gaze for a moment before saying, "Aye."

"Then it's settled, you will be paired up with Athena, you will follow her instruction, and work together as a team."

"But Luther I didn't come here, for some useless girl to teach me how to cook and clean, I came here to fight, to take down my enemy with one swing of my sword, I will not learn anything from a weak worthless gir-"

"Enough!" The wind around us started to pick up, "I am your partner, and your teacher, not only will I teach you, but I will make sure that you learn to respect me the hard way, and when I'm done with you, you will see me for who I am, a woman." 

The wind was starting to get stronger, "Athena," I look over at Luther, "Relax," I exhaled and the wind started to slow down. 

"Excuse me," I moved from around the table, and walked into the kitchen, with the fox following close behind me.

I could feel the tears, and the anger bubbling up within me, the fire was still going to the brick oven. I slam my hand down, when the fire sparked even bigger and launched itself at me, I covered my face with my hands.

When I place them in front of me, the fire spread across my hand, "it's not burning," I whispered to myself. 

I place my hands together and the two balls of fire became one, the orange flame, turned blue, I released it into the air. 

"Beautiful isn't it?" I turn to see that Luther was standing there and staring at me. Taking in what I did. He didn't look surprised by what I did, "Could you please follow me on a walk?"

I nodded my head, and followed behind him with the fox by my side, but not before looking back at the brick oven.