Chapter 19- Guilt

Marcus POV...

I could smell her, no I could feel her presence, though we have not completed the bond, I could feel her ever since I tasted her. 

I watched as everyone in the Colosseum was screaming and shouting, 'kill her', 'off with her head', 'kill the abomination already,' I watched as the doors open up, she didn't waste time to look at the people who were in awe with her,  but instead at Brittney, when the guard gave the order to chop the rope at the same time Athena sent a pair of chopsticks stopping the rope from falling any further, Brittney fell to the ground, at the same moment the blade gave out . 

I looked over to where the elders were standing, and I could tell that not only were they filled with distaste that a woman held this much power but they were also intimidated by her aura. I knew my people have yet to meet their queen to be and from the look on their faces I could tell that they were somewhat excited, and entertained by her presence, silent whispers littered the air, 'is that the princess?' 'why is she dressed like that,' 'that couldn't be the princess'.

We all watched as she cut the rope and picked up one of the chopsticks, slipping off the safety cap revealing a blade, she slit her wrist and place it near Brittney's mouth, I watch as one of the elders scoffed 'and this will be our queen' he says to the others sitting beside him.

We all watched as she moved Brittney's hair to the side and whisper in her ear, "I'm sorry I wasn't here to protect you," when she was finished she placed Brittney on the wolf's back, without any exchange of words they both nodded their heads as she watched as the wolf left through the doors. 

I watched as her face hardened when she found me, she held my gaze, I could feel everyone staring between us. 

"Leave!" I ordered.

Everyone left us staring at each other. Slowly I walk towards her without breaking our gaze when I was finally standing in front of her. She was dressed in a special type of thick leather that was designed specifically for war, but I couldn't help but feel uneasy about the blood that was smudged all over her body. 

"What happened?" I ask as I rushed towards her.

She held up her hand stopping me, "it doesn't matter right now, besides it isn't mine," I could tell by her face that she was saddened by something.

I caressed her face and watched as she hesitantly leaned in and exhaled. She held my hand lightly as she rubbed her thumb back and forth, to get some comfort from me, "when I found out who you were to me I was confused, and I wondered why of all the person I was destined to be with was you, I felt so fearful of what was to be," I was itching to hear what she was about to say, "I thought the reason I left was to see my friends that are like my family, but in all reality it was because I needed to get away from you and clear my mind about everything and now that I am back, I am certain about everything."

"I am too and all-"

"I'm not finished," she says cutting me off, "it has open my eyes to realize how much of a monster that you really are," she says dropping her hand and stepping away from me.

"Please let me explain everything,"

"That what?" she asks rhetorically, "you weren't going to execute her in front of all her enemies with her grandparents there at the front watching."

"I thought she had done something to you!" I yell at her.

"So you're just gonna what, kill her?" I ask. 

"I thought that was what you wanted!" I knew from us yelling that people within the kingdom could hear us.

"Why would I want blood spill for the sake of revenge, what if I was late for a second?" She asks searching my eyes for something that was simply not there, "that's their only grandchild Marcus, how evil can you be?" She asks.

I remained quiet as I stared into her eyes, "you know I've read stories about you, how vile and vicious you are, how you have absolutely no mercy, heck even my mother would tell me bedtime stories about you just so I'd always listen to her, but I thought those were all they were, bedtime stories, but now that I've grown up and met you, I've realized that you are viler than what those stories give you credit for," she starts to laugh, "and you are who I'm supposed to marry, what sick game is this, what have I done to deserve such karma?" She asks as she looks to the heavens as if they would open up and give her the answer to her question.

"Athena I wasn't thinking, not having you near me made me go insane, please don't ruin something that could be because of something so simple as the help."

"You think because she is replaceable you can go around and treat her like this as if she's worth nothing?" She exhales, "she has been cleaning up after your family for decades, being tormented because she has the blood of a hybrid flowing through her veins and because of that her entire bloodline has been damned, and while dealing with all of that she had to wipe your ass," the wind around us starts to pick up, blowing her hair around, "I hate you," she says low enough for me to hear. 

"Athena you do not mean that," I said taking a step towards her, she took two step back. 

She arched her brow, "No I do, and unfortunately I have no choice but to marry you, but it doesn't mean that I have to love you neither does it mean that I have to accept you as my mate, because you are absolutely everything I despise in a person," I look away from her, I've heard many horrible things being said about me, not once did it ever phase me, but when it came from her lips, it stung.

"All I wanted was to get the justice I thought you deserved."

"If she actually did harm me, what peace would you have gotten from killing her?" She asks I open my mouth to reply but then stopped because she was right, "exactly, I would still be missing, she would be dead and you would be mateless, everyone loses," she says low enough for me to hear.

My heart sank, "What does that mean for us?" I ask.

"Don't you get it?!" She yells, "there is no us, you and I will go back to our normal lives, you go back to your harlot, and I will go back to disliking you like I always have, and remember this the only reason why I am still here is because this marriage which is to unite our people, and as of now because Brittney needs me, you will pretend as if you finding out that we are mate's never happened," she spat.

"Does that mean that you are rejecting me?" I ask.

"I don't know what it means, but I do know I cannot see myself being with an absolute pig like you, you are filled with some much hatred, and need for revenge that just breathing the same air as you, is toxic just to be around and I cannot fall in love with someone like that."

The doubled door to the Colosseum opened up, revealing the wolf that walked cautiously, looking between Athena and me when he reached Athena, he rubbed his head on her thigh, she ran her hand through his silver like fur, the wind starts to slow down, "Good night Marcus," she bows her head to me and walked off with the wolf at her side leaving me to watch her. I crumbled to my knees as everything that I have done starts to engulf me with guilt, and remorse eating away at my bones.