xxviii. ━━ bitterness of war

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS
»»————- act two. fan the flames
TWENTY EIGHT ━━ bitterness of war

all we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us

decide what to do with
the time given to us

j.r.r tolkien

     HER FINGERS DRIFTED THROUGH HER HAIR, WEAVING the thick damp strands to the side as she stared at her reflection in the mirror. She still looked the same but she felt completely different. She sighed, running one last hand through her hair and left it down before pulling her jumpsuit on over her undershirt and garments, exiting the room silently in hopes of not waking Finnick up at this hour.

     She carefully closed the metal door behind her before she was greeted with the empty hallway. It always was dark inside district thirteen due to living underground but with no one there to fill tue corridors it felt hollow.

     The brunette glanced around for a moment, the silence was something she wasn't accustomed to anymore and now it felt like the walls were mocking her with it. The way only her footsteps echoed of the walls made her feel completely alone even if behind the doors people were fast asleep.

     As she walked through the doors leading to the dinning hall she hoped that someone else was already there, just to make that hollow feeling go away but as she looked up the room was deserted.

     The brunette softly closed the door behing her before she approached one of the tables and sat down, the cold surface sending shivers down her spine when she rested her arms upon it.

     She rubbed her eyes, trying to fight the sleep to avoid the nightmares that plagued her mind at night. She'd rather be awake than to see flashes of the Hunger Games behind closed eyelits.

     Her head felt heavy as it rested in the palm of her head and the brunette tried to imagine the salty breeze of district four she desperatly missed.

     She missed the way the sand felt beneath her bare feet, how the waves gently crashed against the rocks, how the wind caressed her hair but she mostly missed the familiar feeling that she belonged.

    Erin was no girl to seek cover behind walls and cower in the shadows, she was a girl of confrontation and standing up for what you believed in even when the Capitol tried to force her into silence.

     But now beneath the ground, waiting for something to happen while the people outside who finally started stand up against Snow were taking the hit for something they started felt awful for her.

    They lit a spark but it would remain just that if they didn't fan the flame soon. She firmly believed that they could win the rebellion and force president Snow from his throne and stop his terror.

     "What are you thinking about?" The voice was gentle as Erin lifted her head to look at the source.

    Upon seeing Finnick standing behind her, a warm smile across his face a small spark returned in Erin's eyes.

     "To be honest." Erin sighed as Finnick sat down next to her. "Everything." She leaned her head on his shoulder.

     "Well, let's start with what is bothering you at the moment." Finnick stated as he looked down at her.

     "I should have known you'd notice." Erin chuckled softly.

     "Of cource I'd notice."

     It was silent for a moment before Erin glanced up, her eyes now telling a whole different story, one of terrors and pain. "It's just that we're hiding down here while everyone is fighting a battle we started and I can't stand it to cower away." She looked down at her hands as Finnicks placed his on top of hers.

     "You know we have to wait, we need to make sure Katniss stays safe, we need to have a plan to bring Snow down." Finnick started as he squeezed her hand softly. "And I can't have you marching into battle yet, you almost died, you were even dead for a minute, you need to get your strenght back."

     "But that's it Finnick." Erin sat back up and turned around in her seat to face the blonde. "If it taught me one thing it was that we can't waste anymore time because we never know when it runs out."

     Finnick smiled at her, his own eyes lighting up with adoration as Erin spoke. "I love that about you."

     "What?" Erin knitted her eyebrows together and tilted her head.

     "You're stubborness, I always admired that about you even when we were kids." Finnick smiled as he looked ahead like he was back in district four and reliving a memory. "Always defending everyone and helping everyone even if they said you couldn't do it."

     Erin chuckled, a crimson color decorating her cheeks. "I did that a lot didn't I? Doing things I wasn't supposed to do"

     "Yeah..."

     Silence loomed over the two, both realising what was to come in the future, no one was safe even if they believed they were bulletproof after everything they survived. But their luck could run out any moment and both didn't want to admit that maybe they too wouldn't see the end of the rebellion.

     "I wish we could just stop time for a moment and stay in this moment forever. Together with no worries." Finnick broke the silence as he looked at the brunette.

     "We're all just living on borrowed time I guess."

     "The more reason to live in the moment."

     Erin smiled at the blonde as Finnick leaned down and place a sweet kiss on her lips, both clinging to the moment, one where they were just together without the need to look over their shoulders.

     And as they parted and stared in each others eyes they made a promise that wouldn't break even after death.

     "Together?"

     "Together."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬