liv. ━━ the odds change

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS
»»————- act three. from the ashes
FIFTY FOUR ━━ the odds change

in some other life we are standing side by side and laughing, that in another life we are apart

and laughing, that in another life we are apart

d.j.

WHEN ERIN WAKES UP FOR A SPLIT SECOND EVERYTHING FEELS OKAY, UNTIL THE PREVIOUS EVENT COME CRASHING BACK IN AND A SOB RIPS THROUGH HER THROAT, and she sits back up in her bed, tears streaming down her face. She does't even notice Finnick waking up beside her hospice bed as he worriedly stands up from his chair to take his girl into his arms. She immediately buries her head in his chest and he strokes his hand gently through her hair, trying to calm her down.

"He's dead." She cries out and it breaks his heart to see her this way as she clutches to the fabric of his wollen sweatshirt. "He—he can't be dead. He's Alex, he's my big brother."

"Shh." He whispers soothingly in her ear, holding her closer to him before the two are interrupted by the sound of the door opening.

"I'm sorry to interrupt." It's Mrs. Everdeen who steps in the room with an solemn experssion on her face that reminds Erin she isn't the only one who lost a loved one today. She carefully pulls away from Finnick who moves to the side so that Mrs. Everdeen can take his place on the bed.

Erin smiles at the woman, but it doesn't reach her eyes as she wipes away the remaining tears just like how Katniss' mother's returned smile seemed to be forced in the situation.

"I just have to cover your burns in this." The woman hold up a small container with a odorless ointment for her to see and Erin nods silentely and turns to face the woman better as she carefully unwraps the bandage around her arm before applying the ointment.

"I'm sorry about Prim." Erin whispers softly and the woman halts her movements for a second.

"I'm sorry about your brother too."

"Thank you."

Once again the door to her room opens up with a creak, and this time it is Gale who steps inside quietly. He waits by the door, exchanging a look with Finnick as Mrs. Everdeen wraps her arm up again before leaving the room with a soft goodbye.

"Coin wants to see you two." Gale announces, observing how lifeless Erin looks sitting in her hospital bed, eyes downcasted and focused on her hands.