xliv. ━━ the honeymoon

· 。゚☆: *.
RUINS
»»————- act three. from the ashes
FORTY FOUR ━━ the honeymoon

the true soldier fights, not because he hates what's in front of him, but because he loves what's behind

he hates what's in front of him, but
because he loves what's behind

g.k. chesterton

ERIN ODAIR— ODAIR... SHE STILL WASN'T USED TO IT, NOT IN THE SLIGHTEST, BUT THERE WAS NO TIME TO SETTLE DOWN and enjoy a honeymoon like most newly weds. The war didn't stop for them and neither did president Coin when they called on her and Finnick in the day after their marriage ceremony. Nineteen hours of bliss before they strapped their weapons back on and squared their shoulders to fight another day.

It was mostly silent inside the hovercraft, only the low machine hum filling the room as they sat side by side, heading towards a more secluded part of the base at the frontlines. Her head was resting on Finnick's shoulder while he absentmindly played with her finger in an attempt to stay calm.

"We're here." Boggs voice was firm and to the point as he brisked passed the two, leading the way towards the opening ramp.

Pushing herself back up, Erin took in a deep breath before following after the dark skinned man. The fresh cold air pushed passed her skin, instantly making her shiver for a second before she managed to shake it off. Her eyes fleetingly looked around the base. People were mingling about around the tents and other stations that had been put up.

Her tense shoulder immediately relaxed when Finnick laced his fingers through hers, pulling her just a little bit closer. She gave his hand a small squeeze— a silent thank you before she trained her eyes ahead where Bogg was leading them to their destination. A massive crowd had formed around a stage where Paylor proudly stood, a certain kind of determination was glowing from her that told them she was ready to fight.

"I'm commander Paylor of District 8. I'm a soldier, like all of you, so here's what I know. For the first time in our lifetimes, we're standing together with 13 districts. From what I see here, we've already made history." Cheers filled the air around them but Paylor was quick to silence the crowd.

"But history doesn't stop to celebrate. And we're facing an enemy that will not change and will never surrender. President Snow has pulled back peacekeepers to fortify the center of the city. He's evacuating residents from the outer blocks. These civilians will be confused and desperate. You are under orders not to target them. We're deploying medical brigades to help anyone in need. We'll show the Capitol people who we are."