|Chapter Seventeen|

Ruby

     Ethan did not call me last night, not even to check if I was doing okay. Well, it's not like I care or something. We are just friends, right? The party was a success and the last of the guests left around 06:00 pm. I told my Big Sis to reserve cake and other junks for me to take back to L.A because Julie has been bugging me on Whatsapp to bring something edible for her. She did and right now I am packing it all up.

Chloe is sitting outside facetiming her boyfriend and Big Sis and her husband are doing God-knows-what in the room, lol. Just as I was snapping close the containers, Jamie Grace's Beautiful Day blared loudly from my phone and I dusted my hands on the apron I am wearing and picked it up. Strange number? I slide the answer call option and place the phone on my ears cautiously,

"Hello beautiful." Jeez, it's this silly guy, I smiled as I felt something warm and exciting twirl inside me,

"Ethan?"

"One and only."

"Oh! How are you?"

"I am doing good and you? How was the party?"

"I am okay and the party was a success."

"Thanks to God. So, I was calling to ask about your plans for tomorrow."

"Well, I will be going to Church in the morning then I will be going to the garage."

"Okay, I will call you around 12:00pm. I will meet you at the garage. Do not leave without me."

I laughed at the way he said his last sentence like a 5-year old and asked,

"Are you some kinda luggage?"

"Whatever. I just want to talk to you tomorrow. So now, take care of yourself. I will call you tomorrow. Sweet dreams."

"Okay. Good night." I said as I tapped the end call option.

The next day, after Church, my Sis and her husband drove me to the garage. Chloe had left earlier today. They wanted to wait while I enter the bus but I was able to convince them to leave. Whew! I don't want them meeting Ethan. He had called me earlier while I was in the car that he was on his way and I had answered as nonchalantly as possible to avoid any interrogation from Big Sis.

As I shifted my travelling bag on my left shoulder, I saw him step out of a black Audi. The driver opened the boot and brought out a small suitcase then hand it over to him. I have to admit that this guy is handsome. His beards, his dress sense, his stance, oh Lord! Subconscious me is swooning with I don't even know what. I have never allowed a guy to affect me so and I don't know how Ethan crawled into my heart. Oh! I can't believe I am ogling a guy. Thank God I am wearing sunshade. Suddenly,  Jamie Grace's voice brought me back to reality and I dig my phone outta my pocket.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Ethan

     I collected my suitcase from the driver and head into the garage while my eyes frantically search for Ruby. I decided to call her, she answered the call on the first ring, heaven forbid that she left without me, I really want to see her, I have not been able to get her out of my mind since I saw her at the Store.

"Hello." She answered coolly,

"Hey, where are you? Hope you have not left...?"

"Calm your pants boy, I am at the blue bus section. I can see you though, look to the left." She said and I did amused, Did she just call me a boy?

I didn't know when the call got disconnected and thank God someone bumped me, I would have being standing on that spot for a long time. She is sporting a knee-length bright blue jean pinafore and a white top with one shoulder of the pinafore hooked. A dark sunshade with no make up whatsoever and she could still steal my breath away.

What is it with this girl? I asked myself and went closer. I adjusted my suitcase and placed it on my back like a backpack and collected the travelling bag from her unwilling shoulder after we murmured our greetings. We paid for the fare and entered the almost filled bus. I placed our luggage in the luggage compartment right above our seats and I took my seat. I asked Ruby who was checking out some books a man was holding out for sale.

"You want to buy a book?"

"Yes or does it look like something else?"

"Nope, I just want to pay, since you did not allow me to pay for your ticket."

"Look, you can't just waltz into my life and take responsibility for me. I am a grown woman, I can take care of myself. I don't need you."

"Oh!" I exclaimed, my voice coming out in high octave as she turned back to the man and she selected the book she wanted and paid up.

No woman and I mean no like zero, nil, naught,  no woman has ever had the gall to reject me or my offer ever. Though they were always after my family's money but no one has ever said they do not need me. I couldn't have been more hurt and angry does not begin to describe what I feel. She could as well have dragged a knife through my heart 'cause I can feel it squeezing out blood.

Lord, please give me the patience to deal with this woman, if she is not in your plan, I wouldn't have met her more than twice and still feel this chemistry and if she isn't, just get her away from me. The last thing I want is to be hurt again. I plugged in my earphones and by now, the bus was moving. I turned my face to the window and was like that for a long while.

"Ethan?" I heard her call but I pretended not to hear her. A few minutes passed, then she called again, this time tapping my biceps,

"Ethan?"

"What is it?" I asked calmly, surprising myself as I turned to her. Her red eyes looked sad and I could almost feel my anger dissipate. How can one girl do this to me? Have control over me like this?

"I am sorry. I am not sorry for the words I said but you can't just be buying and paying for my stuffs. I really do not need your money.

"We are both working so you should know I get this thing called salary alert every end of the month. I just don't want you paying for my stuff all the time."

I smiled. "So, I can pay for it some other time?" I asked as I removed her shades.

"What did you do that for?"

" The talk about payment or the shades?"

"Just shut up."

"As you wish ma'am." I said as I played with the edges of the shades and we started a proper conversation.

A few times we fell into companionable silence. A couple of times we fell asleep. At the end of the journey, I can say I know more about her. We got to L.A at night and I called a cab that took her to her apartment before I head to my penthouse.

-------------------------
Hello Sweethearts,

Things are falling into the right places right?

Read on!