|Chapter Forty|

Ruby

     Some days later, I visited Ethan in his office and met him poring over a file, I sat down on a sofa and he put the file down and came to me. He kissed my head before sitting and loosened his tie. He opened his mouth to say something when his phone rang from his desk. I stood up to get it for him and gave it to him as the call ended. Less than two seconds after, the phone went off again and he switched it off, not before I caught a glimpse of the caller, 'Mum'.

"What's up? Have you finally decided on the wedding planner?"

"Umm, let me show you...." I said trailing off as I brought out my tablet and we went through the profile of the wedding planners I was thinking of.

After I left Ethan's office, I headed straight to the King's house. I rang the bell and Edith answered the door,

"Ruby! How are you?"

"I am very fine, Edith. May I see Mrs King?"

"Of course, come on in." Edith replied and ushered me in, closing the door firmly after them.

"You wait at the sitting room, let me get her upstairs." Edith said and I nodded and took my seat, thinking of what I would say. About two minutes later, Mrs King descended with an aura of affluence. She looked at Ruby and frowned,

"What are you doing here?"

"I came to talk to you."

"I do not have any business with you, do I?"

"No, you don't, but there is something that brought us together and that is your son, Ethan. Imagine you were in my shoes, the people I call my parents are not my real parents, I had a horrible childhood and then after I have embraced life and tried to put all of that behind me, I met a man who is ready to love me and be my own and his mother does not want us to be together because I am not rich." Ruby concluded as Mrs King looked away. An uncomfortable silence descended upon them and Ruby carried her bags and made to leave after few minutes but as she reached the door, Mrs King said,

"I am sorry. I was selfish but you need to understand that Ethan is my only son. I have to be sure he is with the right woman. Our society is used to rich marrying rich and it probably got to me. I am sorry but I really love Ethan and I just wanted the best for him."

Ruby decided to do what will make her surprised, she dropped her bag, ran to her and hugged her on her seat. It took a minute before Mrs King's hands closed over her back and that's how Ruby won her soon -to-be mother-in-law's heart.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   *   *

Narrator

     A month later, the Kings and the Butlers met to discuss their children upcoming wedding and how the celebration will go.
The Butlers took their time in New York where they sightsee and also helped with the wedding.

Ethan and Ruby's Pre-wedding pictures became the talk of the town, most wedding platforms on social media used their pictures as profile picture and even some magazines featured them.

Four months after Ethan introduced Ruby to his parents, the wedding happened. It was the talk of town for days.
It was a beach wedding and the colours were blue and white. There was enough to eat and drink. It was a beautiful wedding.