Chapter One

04/08/16

Dear Elton,

Nicole and I have decided to take a year long trip to Europe. It's been a long time coming for me to make a decision, and although I was reluctant to agree due to the many issues we faced, she helped me find solutions to all the challenges, which is why I am emailing you today.

Throughout this entire process, my main concern was Katelin what she would do while I was gone. After running out all of my options (and I do mean all of them), Nicole suggested you to take care of her! Before you say no, I want you to think about something...you've been depriving her of seeing her older brother for nearly ten years!! She misses you, Elton. (I'm assuming that got you, so let's move on...)

Now, I know you haven't seen her since you moved out, so there's a few things you should know. She's seventeen now, but can't drive yet, so don't let her fool you. I'm sure you remember her peanut allergy and asthma, which both seem to be getting worse, so make sure you keep a sharp eye on that. She does online school now...and as for why? I'll leave that up to her whether she tells you or not. She's usually pretty good about keeping up with her school work, but she does get hung up from time to time. I know you're still extremely smart, so please help her if she needs it.

I know you like to goof off out there in LA, but she's my pride and joy and this is really important to me. Please take care of her. None of your funny business.

Thanks, Son. She'll be at the LAX airport on May 17th at 11 A.M.

Love,

Dad.

-

-

05/17/16

My stomach churned as the cab driver pulled into my small town's local airport, which was located on the brim of Connecticut and Massachusetts. The car came to a complete stop and I sluggishly dragged my bags out of the back seat. I set them by my feet as my dad came over to envelop me in a big hug.

"I'll miss you, love" He half-whispered, then kissed the top of my head.

"I'll miss you too," I said, wrapping my arms around his torso. "Be safe..." I mumbled.

"See you in a few months." He reminded, stepping back into his car. He quickly rolled down the window, "Keep an open mind, okay? LA will be good for you."

I nodded and watched the car slowly merge into the sea of vehicles, then turned back to the airport and lugged my bags to the terminal. After a long line at security, I checked in and took a seat next to a big window as I pulled out my phone. Clicking into Instagram, I quickly searched 'Elton Castee'. An array of colorful and adventurous pictures popped up advertising a tall, scruffy-bearded boy.

I chuckled at the pictures of him free running and skydiving and remembered when he used to build obstacle courses made out of the couches, pillows, and the coffee table in our living room. He was always an adventurous person, bringing me along on journeys through the woods in our backyard. He'd make up these crazy stories about the forest and the creatures that lived there. Our dad helped us build this treehouse which at the time seemed to be gigantic and fancy but now seemed like just a few mossy floorboards.

I was pulled from my thoughts by the intercom calling for the last passengers to board the plane. I slung my bag over my shoulder and pulled my suitcase behind me as I handed the attendant my ticket and headed for the breezeway. Once seated, I reached for my seat buckle then clicked it into position.  I rested my head against the side of the window, watching the plane slowly move to the runway then swiftly gliding up into the clouds. The sun was setting as the day turned to night and darkness began taking over the sky.