Chapter Twelve

The next three days I spent the majority of my time going to orientations at LAHHS, shopping for school supplies, or locked away in my room as I dreaded Monday. I noticed my mood was drastically changing, and not in a good way, Because when I wasn't doing things for school, I was curled up in bed trying my hardest to keep from crying.

Everyone in the house, including Sam, tried restlessly to get me to come out of my room and go out, but each time I refused. I didn't want to see anyone when I felt like this; especially not Sam.

Sunday morning came and hit me in the face like a brick. I groggily trudged down the stairs and into the kitchen where all the boys were sitting, speaking in whispers to each other.

I quietly groaned and without another word, I opened the fridge and scanned the shelves for something to eat. Towards the bottom, I found a yogurt, pulled it out and ripped the tin cover off of it. I pulled out a spoon from the drawer and hopped up onto the counter before taking a large spoonful.

After a long period of silence, Corey spoke up. "I'm glad to see you out of your room." He said, pretending to be hopeful.

I kept my eyes focused on my yogurt and shook my head with a slight shrug, "Last day of freedom, figured I'd do something."

Colby sighed, "You could at least try to act excited. You'd make us feel a whole lot better about this whole thing." he said moving to the sink.

Scrunching up my face, I took another mouth full of yogurt, "Why should you guys feel bad? I'm the one who flunked out of school. It's my fault."

"Yeah, but you moping around isn't helping anyone!" Sam added.

I raised my eyebrows, "Hmm, and why should you care, Sam?" I said through pursed lips and gritting teeth. Shaking my head in frustration, I hopped of the counter and tossed my empty container into the trash can. I looked to Elton who's head was resting in his hands, seemingly exhausted. Being completely annoyed with the Situation, I rolled my eyes and rounded the corner to go back upstairs.

Once I had almost reached the steps, A hand snaked around my wrist and twirled me around. I snapped my neck to face my capturer, only to find an angry Sam glowering down at me.

"Do you think this is fair?" He basted, anger filling his eyes and coating his words like honey in a bee hive, "Letting your brother sit here and watch you suffer? You know, Kate, the vast majority of kids your age go to a regular school every day and don't complain. I get your last experience wasn't great, but If you shut this school down before you give it a chance, you're destroying any hope of having a good time." He said.

I jerked my hand away from him, "No, You don't get to tell me what to do anymore, Sam. This is my choice and my responsibility. I'm not yours anymore. This doesn't have anything to do with you." I retorted.

Sam growled to himself then shook his head in disbelief, "This isn't anything to do with me? Are you freaking kidding me right now? I know you don't think I care about you, Kate, but I do! Watching you shut yourself out and put yourself in so much fear and pain hurts me so much. But I can't let you treat your brother like shit." He said, searching my eyes for some sort of reaction, "Did you even look at him in there? He hasn't slept or eaten in two days because he's been worried sick about you. You need to do something." And with that, he turned on his heels and headed back into the kitchen.

A loud groan escaped my lips, knowing Sam was right. I re-entered the kitchen, walked to the chair Elton was in and whispered in his ear, "Please don't worry about me, I'll be okay." then turned back around and headed to my room.

When I was in private, I closed my door and stepped into the bathroom. I turned on the shower to mildly scalding, then slipped off my wrinkly, stained pajamas and got in. After I had finished, I stepped out and wrapped my teal towel around my body which matched the colour of the walls in my bathroom.