Chapter Seven

It had been two weeks since I had gotten in trouble, but Elton and I still weren't talking to each other. I hadn't left the house at all and I barely left my room. Sam stayed with me constantly, and when he wasn't Corey would watch movies with me on the TV in my room. Our favorite was the Haunted House series.

I had gotten a lot of school work done in the past two weeks and I was sleeping all the time. Colby and Sam forced me to be in a few of their youtube videos, and Aaron had gotten a new puppy, so he was busy with that.

I wasn't really sure where Sam and I were standing because we never established that we were a couple but we sure as hell acted like it. We watched movies together, cuddled, had pillow fights and deep talks on the floor of my balcony.

One day, we were sitting in my room, messily intertwined in each other's arms. He was showing me his favorite youtube videos, when I suddenly sat up. I took a deep breath and decided it was now or never.
"Sam, what are we?" I blurted out.
"Huh?"
"Well, we cuddle all the time and we're constantly together, and you told me that you like me, but I don't know where we stand. I mean, are we friends? Roommates? Boyfriend and girlfriend? Because I just can't stand the confusion any longer."
"Woah, woah! Where is this coming from, Katelin? I thought you liked this whole, you know...spontaneity thing."
"Well, I do- I would, if we were dating. But we aren't and it makes me feel dirty. I mean, at least I assume we aren't dating..."
"Kate, we've agreed that dating would be too hard because of Elton. He'd flip out!"
"I know, so if we're just friends, why are we acting like we're dating? Friends don't cuddle, or give each other kisses, even if they aren't kisses on the mouth, or tell them they're cute when they wake up...In each other's beds." I said although the last part came out as a whisper.
Sam thought about it for a minute, "...Really good friends do."
"Sam..."
"Kate, all I want to do is make you happy. Whatever you want." He said, snaking his arms around my waist.

"Okay, then right now, we're just friends." I said, pulling his arms out from underneath mine, "So, none of this."

Sam frowned, but nodded. "Alright. So what can we do?" he asked, leaning against my headboard.

I shrugged, "What do you and Colby do?"

"Eat junkfood and have burping contests." he stated simply.

I shrugged, standing up, as I walked to the door.

"Where are you going?" He asked, clearly worried since I hadn't left my room for a few days.

"Making junkfood." I smiled, then headed to the kitchen with Sam on my heels.

A short hour later, Sam and I were on the couch laughing at each other as we chugged two liters of Coca-cola and burped out all of the carbonation. A half eaten, oven baked pizza lay on the foot rest, where Circa was begging for it by drooling all over the floor.

"You're pretty good at burping for a girl." he smiled.

"That was sexist." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Yeah, maybe, but true." he shrugged. I rolled my eyes once more before returning my attention to the pizza.

"So, what's going on with the whole 'Elton' situation?" he asked nonchalantly.

"Don't know." I said, biting into a slice and wishing he didn't bring it up.

"Has any of this made you want to hurt yourself again?" he asked bluntly.

"What?" I asked, almost choking on my pizza.

"You heard me..." he almost whispered.

"No, Sam." I sighed through chunks of pizza. "It's been like eight months since I have, maybe more." I said, even though I knew it was a lie. More and more of those unhappy thoughts had been creeping in over the past few weeks.