Chapter Fourteen

"What?" I breathed, "But I've only been here for, like, two months. I can't go home yet"

Elton rubbed his hands down his face as he took a deep breath, "I know Kate, But what am I supposed to do? I can't really tell him no."

"Well did he say why? he said he'd be gone for six months at least." I said, voice quivering and eyes stinging with tears.

Elton simply shook his head and sighed as he placed a hand on my thigh, "I guess you should start packing, Kate." With that, he stood up and began to walk out of the room. Before he left, he turned around, "And Kate, One more thing." He said, a smirk forming on his lips. "Welcome to the prank war!"

All of the boys came running in, laughing with pride, mocking me and poking my shoulders as they made baby noises at me. My ears turned hot and red with embarrassment as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I hate you guys!" I huffed, plopping down on my bed, my face contorting into a pouty face.

Colby wrapped an arm around me, pulling me up and giving me a tight squeeze. "Yeah, of course you hate us...that's why you almost started crying when you thought you had to leave, right?"

"Tears of joy." I muttered as I shot him a look that was so icy it could freeze water in seconds.

Elton chuckled behind me and placed an arm on my shoulder. "Don't worry, we already know you would miss us like crazy if you had to leave." He cooed.

"And you would obviously miss your best friend...right?" Corey chimed in. I nodded. He laughed and lightly punched my shoulder.

As the boys slowly began to disperse out of my room and back to their previous activities I wondered what I would do if I actually had to leave. I had only been there for a short while but these boys felt more like a family than my own father did and there was always something fun happening in the house. I was struck with the thought that I could possibly only have four more months with these boys. That scared me.
There was still so much more I wanted to do with them before my dad got back and took me back home. I realized that the past two months I had spent the majority of my time in my room moping because of Elton or Sam, which is definitely not how I wanted to remember this time living in California with my brother who I might not see for another 10 years.
That moment, as I sat on my bed and picked at the fuzz on one of my throw pillows, I made a pact with my self. I promised from then on that I would try my hardest to be present and enjoy this time before it was over.
After getting ready for bed and turning out the light, I crawled under the covers and drifted off to sleep thinking about all the fun times to come.
---
A/N:
LITERAL SHORTEST CHAPTER EVER!!!
I'm sorry for such a short chapter, guys! But I felt like this one was super important and is like a turning point in the book for the plot and for Kate as a person (wow super nerdy 😂).
I also feel like this is a good chapter for me because I'm never updating anymore so I'm going to try to be more present and post more.
I can't believe we're already almost to 2,000 views. Thank you all for reading and please continue to give me your feedback. I love you all sooo much!