Chapter Twenty-Four

"Yes, I told you, I already finished all the laundry and it's folded on the dryer. The pool is clean and so is the kitchen." I growled into the phone, "Look, I know I lost your dumb bet, so I have to do all the chores in the house until we leave, but your making it really hard. I don't even have time to breathe, Elton."

I could hear his infamous chuckle through the line, "Oh, whatever, Kate. You haven't lifted a finger since you got here. Now you're doing the laundry and cleaning the house a little bit. So what?...We leave for the mountains in a few daws, I think you can deal."

"Fine, whatever it's fine. When are you going to be home?" I asked, pressing the phone between my shoulder and cheek as I placed the top piece of bread on my turkey sandwich.

"Uhm, probably in an hour or two. We just finished filming, but we need to get packed up and I think Colby needs us to drop him at Brennen's. Do you need anything?"

"Oh, you mean besides my life back? No."

"Katelin Rose Castee, are you kidding me? It's not that hard. You lost a bet and now you're paying the price. One week. You have to keep the house clean for one week, that's all. Then were off on a trip, and no one will give a shit if the RV is messy or not. Just suck it up and push through, Okay? I've gotta go, Colby is trying to dance again, I'll see you soon." And with that, the line clicked off.

"Good talk." I mumbled under my breath and slid my phone onto the counter. The sandwich in one hand, and a Coke in the other, I climbed up onto the couch and crossed my legs underneath me. Just as I was about to click on the TV, a loud crash sounded from inside the laundry room. I rose up in a panic and ran to the site of the crash, where Circa sat with guilty eyes, A basket of previously folded laundry now sat sprawled out in front of her.

I groaned, falling to my knees and pushing the clothes back into the fallen basket. "Are you kidding me, Circa? These were clean!" I growled, and looked up to see Circa no longer standing in front of me. "Circa?" I called as I walked out in just enough time to watch her gulp down my sandwich. "No!" I screeched, but it was pointless because my sandwich was now victim to a white (semi-pink) furball. "Ugh, Circa! That was mine!" I yelled, running into the living room. "Go on, get!" I shooed. She skulked away as she licked her chops.

A meek beeping sounded from my watch, making me flip up my wrist to look at the shiny piece of technology. My heart sank, How was it already 4:30? I turned on my heels and promptly headed for the stairs. As I climbed, two stairs at a time, I brushed through my long brown hair with my fingertips, prepping it for the clump I was about to put it in on the top of my head. By the time I reached my bedroom, The long brown strands of hair were fixed into a somewhat messy top knot several inches above the nape of my neck. I took one glance in the black, full-length mirror by my door, pulled a few wisps of hair out to frame my face, and gave the bun one quick tug to loosen it. I then set to work on picking out an outfit.

I must've tried on twenty different clothing combinations by the time I had decided on what to wear. Clothes were strewn throughout every inch of the room, they covered my bed and made a nice cushion for a sleeping Circa. My hand reached down and ruffled the hem of the dress that hugged my sides, but flowed out at the waist and cut off a few inches above my knees. It was a beautiful Autumn-y red colour, like the leaves that come from trees during fall. Since It was cold out (even though It was May), I threw on a denim jacket and a few necklaces, then slid my feet into a worn pair of tan, leather booties.

Finally, I stepped into the path of the mirror, and stared at my appearance as my lips curved into a gentle smile. It was the first time I hadn't worn a full face of makeup, yet still felt beautiful. I slung my purse over my shoulder and trotted down the stairs. I twirled my keys onto my finger and stepped outside, being sure the door locked behind me.

My heels clicked against the shaped concrete as I paced back and forth, eagerly waiting for the car to appear. The Car that would hold my plans for the night. I checked my watch again; 5:27. Still three minutes to go.

The car pulled into the driveway at exactly 5:30PM. I watched excitedly as the person stepped out of the car, but as everything unveiled, I was extremely disappointed with who it was. "Elton?" I snarled.

He replied with a small grin, "Oh, good you're ready. Your surprise should be here any minute...have fun, katelin." He said warmly. "I hope this helps your situation, and just so you know; I give you my blessing." With that, he ducked into the house.

"What? Elton, what did you do?" I asked as I followed on his heels. My hand rested on the cool brass doorknob and I was about to open it when another car pulled up. A tall man in a dress jacket stepped out of the driver's seat and gestured to me. "Miss Katelin?"

My throat closed, "Ehem, yes?" I asked compliantly.

"I'm here as your driver tonight, your surprise is in the car." He claimed.

I shot him a wary look, and crossed my arms over my chest. "Okay, I'm not that naive."

He looked taken aback, "Miss Katelin-"

"Hi, Kate." A voice said and my eyes shot to the opening car door of the back seat. He was dressed in a white V-neck and dark jeans, brandishing a single Ghost orchid in his hand.

My heart dropped. Everything made sense now, "Sam? What are you doing?"