Chapter Thirteen

"Kate, get up get up get up!"

"Today's the day, it's time to goooooo!"

"Five, six, seven, eight, if you don't get up you're gonna be late"

"Thats a good one! Ooh how about this? One, two, three, four, get your booty out the door."

"Shut up." I groaned, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. "It's seven in the morning. don't you losers have something better to do?" The boys stared back blankly at me, standing at the foot of my bed.

Corey must've been totally offended by that because his face dropped and he crossed his arms across his chest. "You should just be grateful that you have people who love you so much."

A murmur of agreeance filled the room and I chuckled, shaking my head as I stood up and walked to the boys, "Come on, you know I love you guys. But I need to change...so get out." I shooed them out with a flick of my hand, then slipped on the clothes I had laid out from the night before, took my hair out of its messy bun and pulled on my shoes. I took one look in the mirror and shrugged. I was happy with the way my hair fell down my back in something between waves and curls, thankful that sleeping in a bun calmed down my usual big ringlet curls.

I didn't bother with makeup, so I threw on my thick framed glasses to draw the attention from any imperfections on my face. After brushing my teeth and putting on deodorant and body spray, I slung my bag over my right shoulder and sauntered down the stairs.

I went directly to the fridge and grabbed an iced coffee out of the door. I hopped up on the counter, letting my legs dangle off the edge of the granite. Colby and Sam were sitting at the bar across from me shoving mini donuts in their mouths while watching YouTube on their phones. Elton came down with keys in his hand, ready to take me to school and Corey followed behind him with his laptop then plopped down onto the beanbag to edit.

I followed Elton out the front door, the chilly morning air swirling around me with the short gusts of wind. I stepped into his car and buckled my seatbelt after throwing my bag into the back seat. My fingers twiddled anxiously as Elton drive recklessly towards the school.

I wonder if people will like me. I mean I'm coming in the middle of the year, people already have their cliques and everything.
Of course they'll like us, were awesome.
Not really...we're a mess.
Maybe you are.
Am I really arguing with myself? Im losing it.
Yeah. You are... hey look! We're here.

I was pulled out of my thoughts by the sound of the car door locks clicking open and the low screech of the breaks as we pulled into the lot. In a matter of seconds, My stomach went from a light fluttering of butterflies to a angry swarm of bees wanting anything but to be in my stomach. I scanned the hundreds of kids scattering the front courtyard of the school, anxiously as I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding.

"Ight' kiddo. Have fun. Learn lots and don't let the big kids steal your lunch money." Elton sang with a smirk.

As I slid out of the car, I shook my head then turned back to grab my bag. "You're an ass." I muttered, rolling my eyes at him. I could hear him laughing as he pulled away, leaving me to fend for myself.

Mindlessly, I made my way into the building, searching for locker 2035, which, according to my schedule, was mine. Jacob was waiting for me there, leaning up against the locker taking to another guy. As I inched closer to them, I realized that I recognized the other boy he was talking to. It was the Brandon guy from the coffee shop.

A smile grew on both of their faces as I approached them. Jacob wrapped his arms around me and gave me a light squeeze before looking back to Brandon. "Kate, this is-"

"Brandon" we said in unison, making Him stop and give me a confused look.

"Yeah, uh, how'd you know?"

"We met at a coffee shop like last month." Brandon chimed in.

"Oh, well, why didn't I know?" He asked, his voice dropping noticeably.

I shrugged, "I didn't know you knew him."

Jacob let it go, but stayed quiet and distant for the rest of the conversation. My mind wandered from the conversation to worrying about the rest of the day.

The sound of the bell ringing pulled be back to reality as Jacob grabbed me by the wrist in an agitated way as he began to drag me to our first class. He didn't say more than ten words to me for the rest of the day, but clung to me like a moth to a flame. Besides when we had separate classes, he was constantly by my side, being sure not to let any other guys talk to me. By the end of the day, I was so sick of the clinginess that I ditched Jacob while he was in the bathroom.

Elton was waiting in his jeep outside of the front courtyard of the school with Colby and Sam in the back seat. The three of them stepped out of the jeep and came sprinting towards me, arms open and bright goofy smiles plastered on their faces. I was quickly pulled into a four person bear hug, shouts of praise being yelled at me in every direction as I tried to hug them back.

I pushed them away with a laugh, pretending to be out of breath. Leading them back to the car, I was bombarded with questions of wondering how my day was. I tried to explain it as much as I could while keeping Brandon and Jacob out of it. If the boys found out that I was with them they would freak out, especially Elton and Sam.

That night, Sam and Colby ordered in my favourite pasta for dinner from a local bistro and we all watched Princess and the Frog together on the couch. I went up to my room after dinner to finish homework which consisted of 'get to know me' papers and registering for websites for my classes. after I had finished, and was laying on my bed scrolling through instagram, Elton came knocking on my door.

I stood up and trudged to the door, tossing it open and giving him a small smile, "Whats up?" I ask turning on my heels and heading back to my bed.

"Hey, I need to talk to you about something..." he said awkwardly as he took a few steps into the room. I noticed that he looked worried and nervous as he looked around for something to do.

"Okay?" I asked, sitting crisscross on the bed then taking a drink of Dr.Pepper.

Elton sat on the bed, facing me and rubbing his hands together nervously. "So I just got off the phone with Dad. And, uh, He said that he's sending you back home tomorrow."