Chapter Two

When I woke up that afternoon, I found the house was no longer quiet, but rumbling with shouts and laughter. Allowing my curiosity to get the best of me, I made my way downstairs where I found Colby and Sam in the living room, jumping on an inflatable bouncy castle. Elton and Corey were slumped on the couch as they sat and watched. Elton waved me over and patted the seat next to him. I slid over to him, doing my best to squeeze in between the bouncy castle and the wall. I fell back onto the couch with a sigh, still groggy from my nap.

How the hell did they get a bouncy house in the living room? and where did it come from? did they just have one folded up in the basement? I was so confused, but if these boys were anything like Elton, I knew not to ask questions.

Sam tackled Colby which sent them both flying into the mesh netting of the castle. Corey and Elton cheered them on as if they were in a real wrestling match. It was all really amusing, seeing as 4 grown men were spending their day fighting in a bouncy house like children.

"You guys are insane," I mumbled, but my comment went unnoticed. Corey quickly jumped into the castle, kneeling down next to Sam's limp body as he groaned in pain.

"One, two, three! He's out!" Corey shouted, raising Colby's hand in victory.

My brother glanced at me, seeming to only just comprehend my snarky comment. "Hey, boys," he said, his voice laced with tease. "Katelin just called us all insane.... what-what're we going to do about that?"

One by one they all flicked their heads my way, the same baffled jaw drop on each of their faces which hinted at their devious plan. I looked at Sam who no sooner shouted, "Get her!" Then, without a moment's hesitation, Elton scooped me up and threw me into the bouncy castle with a devious laugh. 

I gasped as I hit the plastic surface of the castle, and began to wriggle away, heading for the exit. I was quickly sent into the air as the boys jumped up and down. Still fighting for the exit, I finally made it through the slit in the netting, falling to the floor with a thud.

I stared up at the four boys who stared back at me. Everything paused for a moment as we tried to process what had happened, then, as if on cue, we all began to move again. I jumped up onto the couch, running to the other side of the room as the boys followed, one by one, out of the bouncy castle. I ran, having no clue where I was going; Into the kitchen, circling the island and opening the double glass doors which lead to a backyard with a gated pool. My head raced as I started looking for an exit to the front of the house, but with my luck, I found myself trapped in the corner of the back yard fence as the boys circled around me.

"Do you want to take back what you said?" Corey asked mischievously, trying to glare at me, but hopelessly failed to contain his smile.

I pretended to contemplate the idea, then waved him over, gesturing that I would tell him a secret. My arms reached up and pulled him down so that I could whisper into his ear, "No..." I said, then took off towards the house.

"Waah!" Corey shouted in frustration.

"Gotcha!"

"Katelin!"

I thought I was free, but just as I cleared Sam and Colby, Elton turned and grabbed me, pulling me to the ground. I flipped over onto my back as the dew on the grass soaked my shirt. Elton pinned me down as Colby and Sam stood over me brandishing their super soakers. I groaned in defeat as they all cheered in triumph before drenching me with cold pool water.

"Haha... very funny" I muttered, scraping back the damp hair which clung to my face..

"It was extremely funny," Colby agreed.

"You should see yourself right now," Sam jeered.

I stood up, cocking an eyebrow "Okay, Okay. It was funny...I forgive you. Now, c'mon let's hug it out!" I said making a run for Elton first, and catching him before he had time to react. I clung to him, soaking his shirt and shorts. He pushed me off and quickly grabbed one of the water guns, accepting the fact that he was on my team now. We chased the others around the backyard, but they were faster than I thought. There was so much chaos that when I ducked away to fill a super soaker in the pool, no one noticed I was gone. I quickly filled the gun with a few glugs of water.

Creeping around the pool gate, I noticed the boys were now looking for me. Just as they noticed I was there, I pulled out the soaker and sprayed them as much as I could, drenching Corey the most.

"No! no." He shouted at me as he waved a finger in my face. "No!" He lunged for the soaker and latched onto it, leaving me and him, whipping each other around as we fought for custody of the gun.

We both screeched as Colby sprayed us with the other super soaker, "Bad Katelin, Bad!" He yelled. I quickly dropped the gun, hanging my head and walking away, shamefully.

"Oooh you got in troubleeee" Sam taunted, nudging me.

I stuck my tongue out at him and he copied me. My hand playfully pushed his shoulder and he gripped where I'd hit him.

"Owww!" He whined, obviously pretending.

"Whatever! That did not hurt."

"Yeah, I just like messing with you."

"Wow, thanks." I groaned

After I had left to change my wet clothes, there was a knock on my door. "Yeah?" I called, pulling on my socks.

"Open the door." Elton's voice replied.

I sighed and made my way to the door, turned the lock, then sat back down on the bed.

"C'mon. Were going to lunch," he said, tossing a pair of my white converse at me.

"Ooh, where?"

"You'll see" He smirked. "Boys we're going to lunch. Be back later!" He called out.

We were about to open the door when Sam and Colby ran down the stairs, shoes on their feet and jackets in their hands.

"We're gonna tag along if you don't mind." Colby smiled.

"Wait, Guys, Wait!" Corey yelled as he jumped down the set of stairs. "Can I come too?" He squeaked.

Elton looked at me apologetically and I shrugged giving him a smile. I knew it would be more exciting if they all came, so I really didn't mind.

"C'mon" he groaned, unlocking his car as we all shuffled outside.

A loud clamor of cheers erupted from the three of them, "I love my uncle!" Colby yelled, skipping to the car.

'You're uncle?' I thought but decided this day was already weird enough, so I wasn't going to ask anymore questions.

"I get front!" I yelled, just as Colby got to the passenger side.

"No!" he said defensively, putting his butt against the door of the car.

"Yes!" I replied, crossing my arms.

"Eeeltoon?" we both asked.

"That's on you guys." he shrugged, jumping into the driver's seat.

"Fine, we'll settle this the hard way." He grumbled, putting his hands into fists.

I flinched away from him, "Wah!" I squeaked

"Rock, paper, scissors." He said, eyeing me suspiciously.

"O-oh." I chuckled nervously, then put my hands into position. We began calling out the rhyme in unison, "Rock, Paper, Scissors... Shoot!"