Chapter 2

I sat at my desk waiting for the bell to ring so that we would be let out for lunch. It was the only time during school I was allowed near the gardens. I sighed and looked at the clock...3 more minutes. I threw my head back and brought my arms as far back as they could. I could feel my muscles being stretched. I released the tension and yawned not caring that it was ill-mannered.

I looked back as the clock and smiled....10...8...6...4...3...2...1...ding dong

I quickly shot up and smiled. I raced out of the classroom and down the many hallways before reaching the garden. I was one of the first or few who came out.

I slowly walked up to the huge tree with a gentle and friendly smile. Once I approached, I ran my hand against the rough bark. I could tell that its been here for hundreds of years...watching as angels sprouted wings and forgetting about this beautiful creation.

"Don't worry...I will never forget you girl." I said just loud enough for myself to hear.

I knelt down on one knee while I placed my right hand on the ground. I quickly pushed off the ground and grabbed onto one of the trees many branches.

Once I pulled myself up, I continued to climb until it seemed I was engulfed by the leaves and branches. I sat on a sturdy branch with my back against her trunk. I took a deep breath and could almost feel the huge sycamore wrapping its branches around me as the wind blew them around.

I placed my hand on the branch next to me and smiled.

"I've missed you my dear friend."

"I have missed you too Kyra." The sycamore spoke back.

Yeah that's right. I have the ability to talk to the plants in this world. Most angels don't find or even figure out what ability awaits them until they sprout wings.

I guess having known my ability for the past few years puts yet another difference between myself and the others.

"How have you been Kyra?"

"To be honest...I'm kind of scared. I found the meaning behind my name in class today, and it terrified me." I said with sorrow clearly written over my face.

"I understand. Kyra means dark ruler but I don't feel an ounce of darkness within your body. The meaning behind your name doesn't define you. Don't let it get you down. Just be the genuinely caring and responsible girl I know you to be and you cant go wrong."

I smiled and looked up into the vortex of branches that seemed to go on forever.

"You always know how to cheer me up Syca." I happily said as I used the name I gave her from the first time we talked.

"Your the only one who seems to care for me so naturally I'm going to care for you."

"Thanks Syca." I said standing up. "I better start heading to class. I will come and visit again before I leave."

"I will be waiting."

I jumped grabbing branches as I got closure to the ground. Once I reached a sturdy branch close enough to the ground, I jumped and landed on one knee with my hands on the ground in front of me.

I stood up and looked back at the sycamore behind me with a smile. She looked strong at she towered over me and yet...I could feel the sadness she has due to the many students who walk past her and not seem to notice the beauty she displays.

"There you are Kyra. I should of known you would be here." Lorea said as she walked towards me.

"You know me. I cant help but be drawn to this tree." I said scratching the back of my head.

"If you don't mind me asking, why are you always with this tree? Its not like there's anything special about it." she says with a hint of concern.

"That's where you're wrong Lorea. This huge sycamore is special to me." I said looking back at the tree.

"But why? I don't understand."

"I doubt you ever will. Come on. Class is about to start back up. We don't want to get in trouble." I said walking past her.

As I walked into the building I felt sorrow wash over my body from having to leave Syca to her loneliness. I sighed and continued toward the direction of my classroom.