Chapter Twelve | Fall

"Everyone needs to keep an ear out," Nick quietly said as the three stepped inside of the walls, the gates shutting behind them.

"Quiet and quick. Got it," Sal nodded. "Tommy, let's go." The grabbed him by his arm, before pulling him along just inside of the edge of the wall.

As soon as he saw the two disappear from his sight, Nick turned the other way and headed off. He knew the Wraith best out of all the killers they encountered over the years. He didn't know what it was, but he knew.

He shook his head from his thoughts before running towards the first generator his eyes landed on. "Hello there," He muttered as he popped open the panel covering the controls. He quickly went to work.

However, his attention was pulled away just a moment later as the familiar sound of a generator exploding filled the area.

"Shit," He whispered before setting everything straight and stepping back from his generator. The other two were far, but he had to stay out of sight as soon as possible, especially because at least one of the two would run his way.

As his eyes scanned the area, they landed on a large grouping of trees. There. He quickly ran over and pushed himself against the back of a tree. As soon as he did, the chiming of the bell.

"Fuck."

******************************************************

Things were going rather smoothly for the other group. They decided against their usual routine, instead sticking together. Uni was able to keep an eye out for any bear traps as they walked, and kept a lookout as the others worked on generators.

The smoothness kept all on edge.

"Are you sure he isn't just watching us from behind a tree or something?" Ate quietly asked as she, Ashlie, and Cory worked on repairing the generator.

"That's not the trapper," Uni told her. "He's not exactly the most strategic thinker unless he's placing bear traps. That I know for a fact."

Ate nodded in response before turning her attention back to the generator.

The all went back into silence, only communicating through short nods and gestures. To say the least, they were able to escape without a hitch.

"Guys?" Ashlie breathed as she came to a halt. "I don't see the others."

*****************************************

"One more, guys! Let's go!" Nick took a hold of Sal and Tommy's arms, pulling them along to the last generator, right by the doors. "Someone stand at the door."

Tommy pulled from Nick before stepping beside the control panel. Sal and Nick kneeled beside the generator and quickly got to work.

The tension was high as the generator was worked on. They had heard an even amount of bell rings. That meant the Wraith was out in the open.

"Let's go," Sal's voice was desperate. They were so close, but they could hear the extremely faint pumping of the Wraith's heart.

"Shit," Nick muttered. "Tommy in three, two, one." The generator whirred to life as Tommy yanked the lever down. The doors never moved fast enough.

"Sal, Nick, let's go!" Tommy called as soon as the gates began shuddering open.

Nick and Sal both stood and ran towards the door. However, the Wraith's heavy footsteps were heard right on their trail.

Nick did the only thing he thought was logical.

"Go!" He shoved the two in front of him just as a searing pain flooded through his head. He was hit. But the hit pushed him on, letting him stumble past the barricade.

His vision began to become spotty. He only heard his name called before he fell.