Chapter Eighteen | Uni

Almost two weeks had passed since Uni's... "incident".

Addie and Nick were both back on the field. Ate obtained her first major injury; a deep gash across her left forearm. The group was no closer to figuring out what happened. But one thing was extremely noticeable to the entire group.

Sal's personality was quickly changing.

The teen that was once quiet and extremely work driven was becoming more outspoken and energetic.

No one was worried, but rather curious. Addie hypothesized that Sal was simply trying to become even more connected to the group as the stakes were risen. Nick believed that shock was pushing them into a more energetic state. Uni guessed that it was simply them changing. Cory was the only one to guess correctly.

It was all because of Ate.

He was able to see how much more, even if only by a tiny bit, happy Sal was around the girl. And they made a certain face every time she was around. It was the same face, the same smile, he made around Bri. God... Bri...

He didn't know if she ever started looking. And if she did, if she was still looking. He hoped that no matter what, she wouldn't move on. But he wouldn't stop her.

"Cory."

His name being said pulled him from his thoughts.

"Cory, dude, get out of la la land. We're leaving in an hour. Make sure you have everything," Addie patted his shoulder before pulling away.

He let out a dry chuckle before pushing himself up from the couch. The young teen was oblivious. He wasn't surprised in the slightest. She had only been thirteen when she arrived. It was beyond a doubt that she had never been in love. Really in love, at least.

Cory only shook his head before going upstairs to his and Uni's room. He was guessing the said male was packing up for the night. As he thought, quietly made his way to and into the room.

He didn't receive the quiet welcome he expected.

As soon as he stepped into the room, the door was closed and he felt a hand wrap around his neck as he was pushed against the wall. All air left his body.

His wide eyes followed the arm and quickly landed on Uni. Uni's facial expression scared Cory. His mouth was pulled into a scowl. His nose was scrunched up. His eyes were narrowed and his eyebrows were furrowed. His hair was a complete wreck.

"I know for a fucking fact you're not Cory," Uni nearly growled, his voice dangerously quiet. "There's so many things off. The bags under your eyes are darker. Your smile is off. You're so much more serious. You're not Cory." His hold tightened on Cory's neck, causing the trapped man to let out a choked noise.

"It's me," Cory's voice was extremely strained as he fought for even one breath. "It's me."

"Don't you fucking lie to me!" Uni's voice raised in volume. "You're not Cory."

The said male slammed his fist back against the wall, causing Uni to press it against the wall.

After a moment of Cory struggling against Uni, the door slammed open to reveal a now distressed Tommy and Sal. They must have heard the commotion.

"What the hell, Uni?" Tommy exclaimed before yanking the other off of Cory. He quickly pushed Uni to the floor, holding him down.

Cory slid down the wall, breathing in as much air as he could and violently coughing. Sal rushed to his side to help him sit up properly.

"Some- Something's wrong with Uni," Cory gasped as he grabbed onto Sal's sleeve.

"He's out cold," Tommy muttered as he lifted up Uni and put him in his bed. "Something is seriously wrong."

Cory let out a soft sob as he collected his breath.

"What happened to him?"

A/N: Apologies for the wait! Performances have been going on for the show I'm in, so I've been busy. Thank you for being patient!