Chapter Fourteen | Enemies

"Dead?"

Addie's voice was quiet. But, Cory couldn't have died. He was sitting right there.

"He was dead," Uni whispered in response seeming to curl away from his childhood friend. It pained Addie to see him so frail. So broken. "I saw him. There were three holes right though his chest. The Hag killed him," He choked his words out.

"Uni, it's me, I swear. Ask me anything only I know. Please," Cory's voice was desperate. He wanted his best friend back. He didn't want Uni to be scared. To be scared of him.

They all sat in silence. Uni's eyes constantly flickered from Cory to the floor. He was extremely paranoid about the situation. It was completely unlike him.

"Okay," Uni gave a small nod, his eyes to the floor. "Okay. What's the first thing you I said to you?"

Cory's face only softened and a small smile graced his face. "You said, "I still don't know why my parents moved us to America. All of you Americans think that we only drink tea and eat crumpets, bloody hell." And then you got in trouble because we were only in third grade."

There was a beat of silence before Uni broke down with sobs. It scared all three in the room with him. He was never the most emotional person.

"Cory," Uni whimpered before tightly hugging the man beside him. "I was so scared. I thought- I thought- You were dead. I swear."

Cory only held onto Uni, tears visibly slipping down his face. "I'm not. I'm alive. You were just hallucinating. It's me."

As Cory continued to murmur to Uni, Ashlie and Addie removed themselves from the room, instead moving to the study-library hybrid.

"We're up against new dangers," was the first thing Addie said. "It was the Hag?" She earned a nod. "Was she given a new spell or whatever the hell?"

Ashlie only shrugged. "I don't know," She told the younger. "But I'm worried. If Cory wouldn't have convinced Uni, we both know what it would've gotten to." Addie only flinched. She did know.

Uni would've hardened and killed Cory without a second thought, whether they were friends or not.

"We need to tell the others. Where are Sal, Tommy, and Ate?" Addie glanced out of the room. They all entered the house, didn't they?

"We found a note. The person wanted a few people to go get some medical supplies from the drop off. Said it in a note," Ashlie explained. Addie nodded.

"Alright. As soon as they get back, we all need to talk. This is dangerous. We don't need any more enemies."