Chapter 4 (Part 2)

When they finally reached it, Metch could feel Moss growing colder by the moment, but he could still hear her heartbeat. The wolves placed Moss down gently, then watched as Moonech was told to lay down as well. The brown wolf the others called Berry began sniffing the two frozen wolves, before turning around and barking,

"They should both be okay, they just need some warmth."

Metch heaved a sigh of relief, casting a glance at Moss before padding out. He didn't make it very far before he was suddenly shoved to the ground and pinned down.

"What was that?"

The bark sounded right in Metch's ear, laced with a growl. He could tell from the sound it was Holly, no doubt upset that Metch had almost killed her sister.

"Holly,"

Branch barked, growling slightly as well.

"There's no fighting in camp. Let's take him outside."

With that, Holly, Fox, and Branch dragged Metch out of camp. He couldn't see where Belike had gone. The three wolves threw Metch to the ground the moment they were out of camp, immediately beginning to circle him as he stood up.

"Answer the question."

Holly growled, her eyes narrowed.

"I-I slipped."

Metch mumbled, feeling worse for having to lie.

"Lies!"

Fox snapped, snapping her jaws next to his muzzle in warning. He was no match for the two fighters if he did try and run.

"We saw you push her head under with your paw! I don't think that's how a wolf slips."

Branch was growling now. Metch couldn't come up with a good excuse, he just stared at his paws in shame.

"So, are you going to admit it? Or do we have to tear it out of you?"

Fox was standing in front of Metch now, and he could hear Holly and Branch growling.

"We can take them."

Came Razor's nagging bark.

"I'll call my Pack, they'll be dead in mere moments."

"No."

Metch growled out loud. He hadn't meant to, but now the wolves surrounding him had fallen silent.

"What did you say?"

Branch growled, forcing Metch's head up with a paw.

"N-no I wasn't talking to you..."

Metch trailed off, fear and embarrassment stabbing his pelt. He saw Holly tilt her head slightly, but Fox narrowed her golden eyes further.

"Who else would you be talking to?"

She snapped, taking her brother's place, this time she was shoving her nose into Metch's.

Finally, her fur settled, and she stepped back.

"You know, I'll just tell Moss that you are talking to voices in your head, maybe that'll kill that crush of hers."

Metch pinned his ears against his head, his golden eyes pleading as he looked at her and Holly.

"Pl-please, I didn't mean to, really I didn't!"

Metch whined as the three wolves began padding away. They seemed content.