Chapter 2

We spent an hour hammering out the details. We got the story down, both of us telling it without faltering. He was right, that would be the leading story, the thing everyone kept asking us once we got to the house. So we made it real, believable considering I didn't do anything but work and sleep. So we met at the book store, which of course would've been oh so romantic if I truly believed in romance.

As we sat there and talked I realized that Cassian wasn't horrible. I could've been his friend, before everything happened. Before I closed myself off. I could've laughed at his corny jokes and his stupid comments. I might have even been interested in him if the world hadn't hardened me into this girl I barely recognized.

Cassian was actually sweet and charming. I had to remind myself a few times that he wasn't actually my boyfriend.

The waitress told us we were cute when she brought the check. Luke watched us the entire time, especially whenever Cassian would reach across the table and touch me. I didn't fight it, I let his skin touch mine to get used to it. I had a feeling he was going to push the PDA things. I could already see how much of a challenge this was going to be.

"See the waitress already believes us," he said as he paid for my coffee and his piece of cake. I fought him, I told him I could pay for my own food. But he told me it was the least he could do since he was about to making more money than he should've off of me.

We were standing outside the diner, awkwardly wondering how to say goodbye. I sighed loudly and then stood up straighter. I had let a bubble surround us while we were sitting at that table. Somehow I had forgotten my walls and Cassian's charm and infuriating laugh got to me. I pushed it away and put up my guard once more.

"Okay so, I'll pick you up Thursday morning at seven. It's like a three hour drive," I stood up and rolled my neck, "oh and uh. I know we just met. But thanks. You didn't have to agree to this and I really. I really appreciate it."

He gave me that crooked smile again, "don't worry Nesta. I'll make sure they believe you. You'll get your money's worth, even if I have to preform a ballad in your honor."

I nodded, "right well be ready. We can't be late."

He gave me a wink and then we walked the opposite direction. I shook my head, my sisters would never believe I fell for someone as cocky and self assure as Cassian. And yet somehow it seemed to work. He was a pain in the ass, I could already tell. But there was something that made him likable. Something I would never admit to him. Not in a million years.

Maybe Rita wasn't so terrible at picking them after all.

Again something I wouldn't be telling her that anytime soon.

*-*

Thursday morning I showed up at seven on the dot and much to my surprise Cassian was ready. He was waiting in his driveway, wearing a hoodie and a dark pair of jeans. And sunglasses that hide his honey brown eyes from me. When I got out of my car to help him, I couldn't help but laugh. He had three bags, whereas I only had one. He threw them into my trunk, surprised I was driving.

"Did you bring your entire closet for four days?" I asked as I fixed the bags so nothing would be sticking at a weird angle.

He shrugged, "I like options and I come prepared. What if we decide we need nice clothing's for an outing? Or what if I rip something? What if you stain something?"

I rolled my eyes, "right so you're one of those people. I'm making a list. Over planning is on it," I glanced at him as he watched me, "we're going to spending most of the time in our bathing suits anyways. I hope you brought a few of those."