Chapter 4

If Elain hadn't squealed the moment she saw me time would've stood still. Because the moment I saw him standing there, with that stupid grin on his face, I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think or feel or do anything but stare at the monster who had taken so much away from me. But then my middle sister broke the tension, she broke through the panic and grabbed me tightly, pulling me away from the boy who haunted my dreams.

It took me a full heartbeat to make it to the bottom of the stairs. When I did my middle sister came running towards me, oblivious to the fact that at this very moment I couldn't breathe, I couldn't think past the evil bastard smiling that disgusting smile at me.

But then it all faded when Elain wrapped her arms around me. She hugged me tightly as Cassian let go of my hand. His eyes were on Tomas, who was smiling at me. No he was smirking, as if he knew exactly what his presence was doing to me. As if he was remembering that night long ago when he had hurt me beyond repair.

Elain let me go and I stepped backwards, but thankfully Cassian grabbed my waist before I could stumble over my own feet and fall down. He was a steady force behind me, his hands warm against my skin.

"Nesta!" Elain was smiling at me, I realized only seconds had passed since Tomas had walked in. I looked at my sister and tried to focus on her. She looked so good, so happy and healthy it killed me to know I hadn't been home in six months.

"Hey E," there were tears in my eyes as I looked at her. She was so grown up, they both were. Then again we all had to grow up before we were ready. Since our father had never been there for us.

Cassian stayed close to me, his body stiff, his eyes on Tomas. Tomas watched us, and for whatever reason it didn't affect me while Cassian was there. It wasn't that same air crushing moment as when he appeared.

"I'm so glad you're here Nes, and you brought your new boyfriend. Feyre and I have been so excited to meet him. Gosh he's so handsome."

Leave it to Elain to break all the tension in the room. Cassian gave her his most charming smile, reaching an arm around me and offering her his hand, "I'm Cassian. You must be Elain, I've heard so much about you. About you both, Nesta really does love her sisters."

She took to him fast. She shook his hand and her eyes were wide as she felt the muscle behind his shake. He stepped around me, I gave him a nod letting him know it was okay, and then offered her his arm. They walked into the dining room together and I followed close behind. I wouldn't be left alone with Tomas. I refused to be left alone with him.

Cassian pulled Elain's chair out for her and then he came around and pulled mine out before taking the seat to my right. I nodded at Rhys, who was watching us the same way he had been when we arrived. Everyone seemed to be watching us as if we were the most interesting entertainment they had ever had.

"So," Mor clapped her hands as everyone served themselves, "how did Nesta meet someone as sweet and good-looking as you?"

Cassian didn't even take a moment to breathe. He launched into the story we had decided on during our first meeting. His smile never faltered, his hands moving with every word.

"I was working and it was raining outside. I was at the door fixing the books and the doors opens and this guy comes in. He shakes his head like a dog and gets water everywhere. I turned around to yell at him."

I paused and let out a breath. Of course we would start this before the food was even on our plates. Cassian smiled, I decided it would be better for him to tell the rest of the story, then I could clean up whatever he let slip out.

Cassian laughed, and grabbed my hand. He laced his fingers through mine on the table, "she said 'you know the books don't want to get wet either you big brute.' And I couldn't even find a response. Because when I looked own at this tiny girl with these big gray blue eyes yelling at me, I just thought she was the most beautiful girl I had ever met."