Chapter 13

I all but ran to my car once I untangled myself from Cassian. I had no idea what Rhys meant by an accident, but so many terrible scenarios were going through my head. Cassian followed me, already aware that I would need him. I didn't even have to ask him, he knew me better than I knew myself already. I fumbled with the keys, dropping them before I could even unlock the car.

Cassian grabbed them, his fingers warm on my wrist. His touch made me stop and take a moment to breathe, "I'll drive."

I nodded and then went around to the passenger side. My little sister was in trouble. I couldn't even remember the last thing I said to her. I know it had been when I was hurting, I had said horrible things to her. I wiped away a tear as Cassian grabbed my hand. He squeezed it gently.

"Nesta. Breathe. She's going to be okay."

"You didn't hear his voice. Rhys was worried. Rhys is never worried," I held onto his hand as tightly as I could, "thank you. For coming with me."

He forced a small smile and kissed the back of my hand, "I told you I'm here for you."

Tears filled my eyes and my heart started to hurt again. Cassian squeezed my hand but I couldn't hold it together, "the last conversation we had I wasn't nice. I blamed her for you. I blamed her because you hurt me. I blamed her and I told her that and I hurt her. Now she's hurt and I can't apologize. What if I never get to apologize Cass?"

"Don't think like that. Feyre knows you love her and you were hurting. She knows, she understands. She actually called me, after you did that night. That's one of the reasons why I had the courage to find you at work. Because Feyre told me you needed me."

I let out a breath, "I've been such a terrible sister all these years. And I only ever realize it whenever something bad happens."

Cassian sighed, "you're a great sister, Nesta. They love you. I saw it that weekend, when they were so happy to have you there. Feyre is going to be okay, I promise."

"Don't make a promise you can't keep," I whispered softly as he sped down the highway. I clutched his hand in mine, praying that for once Cassian and his optimism was right.

The ride to the hospital seemed to take forever. When we got there Cassian found a parking spot and then followed me into the ER. He was right behind me as I found Rhys sitting in the waiting room with his head in his hands.

"Rhys." I ran to him and knelt down in front of him. When his eyes met mine I saw the bags. They were red from crying. He was clutching his wedding ring, "what happened?"

I watched him swallow, "I don't know. She was out for a run and she didn't come home for dinner. I got worried, she never went running for longer than an hour. It had been two and a half. So I went looking for her, thinking she went to Elain or Mor. But neither of them had seen her. Then as I was coming back into the neighborhood there were police surrounding the corner. I got out to see and I couldn't breathe. She was..."

I grabbed his hands as he chocked on the words. His eyes filled with tears, "she was laying there bloody, her leg is broken and she was bleeding everywhere. The ambulance was coming, but I couldn't stop from running forward. They let me through when I said I was her husband. Someone hit her. And they just left her there Nesta. On the side of the road, bleeding and hurt."

I wrapped my arms around him as he broke down. My sister had been hit by a car, she had been hurt and left alone. I closed my eyes as Rhys gripped my waist and held me tightly against him.

"She's going to be okay. She's strong."

He nodded, "but she was scared and I wasn't there Nesta. I wasn't there."