Chapter 7

Cassian was playing with my hair, his finger brushing lightly against my skin. It felt heavenly compared to the pounding that was going on behind my eyes. I opened them slowly, the sun blinding me and rolling my stomach. I wanted to puke, but I fought the urge. I hated getting sick.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," his voice was full of humor and I knew when I looked at him he would be smiling, "how's the head?"

I winced, refusing to open my eyes just yet. I groaned and then moved further under the blankets, "why are you so loud?"

He laughed. It echoed across my skull. He sounded like he was right there next to my ear. Speaking into a bull horn. I winced as he ran his fingers lightly down the small of my back, "I'm whispering sweetheart. Are you okay?"

I finally opened my eyes. The sun shining in through the blinds killed me. Still I sat up and then I shrugged, "as good as I can be hungover," I looked at him trying to block out the sun, "why are you in my bed?"

"You wanted me to sleep with you. You said you didn't want to be alone."

He bit his lip, as if he was unsure how I would react to finding him in my bed. I wasn't upset, I was actually kind of relieved that he was here and no one else had stumbled into the room while I was passed out. Again I was thankful I had brought Cassian home with me. Especially since my sister had sprung Tomas and his invitation on me at the last second.

I blushed, "oh okay. As long as I um. Wanted you here. Some of the details are still a little hazy."

He laughed, "I promise you nothing happened. Well actually you wanted to cuddle, but that's it."

The room spun and I closed my eyes. My stomach rolled, I once again fought the urge to puke. Once the feeling passed I looked at Cassian. My cheeks flushed as I pushed my hair away from my face, "oh my god I'm never drinking again."

Cassian laughed again, "you were a champ last night. You even sang for everyone."

"Oh my god," I covered my face with my hands, "they'll never let me forget this moment."

"You were cute," he kissed my nose, "Nesta, hey look at me."

I pulled my hands away from my face, "what?"

Cassian let out a slow breath, "yesterday, after Tomas cornered you, I just. I got to thinking and I want to help you. Let me teach you a few things, about defending yourself. I would feel better knowing if anything like that happened again that you could, at least do more than knee him in the balls."

Even though my head was pounding, the noise from the house was making me sick, I smiled. Because Cassian was giving me what I always wanted. The power to take care of myself. I let out a slow breath, "you've got yourself a deal."

I laid back down slowly. Cassian was still smiling as he traced lines over my arm. I closed my eyes and laid there soaking in the silence, my head throbbing. I felt like a truck had hit me, then stopped and backed up to roll over me again. The light killed my eyes, every little noise was too loud. Cassian moved his hand, his fingers running lightly over my scalp as if he thought that would help.

It didn't ease my headache, but it helped my heartache.

The longer I laid there the more I realized I needed to tell Feyre the truth. I needed to tell her why I left, why I hated Tomas and the fact that she invited him here. Why I had really gotten upset over her getting married without me there with her. I needed to know if her and Elain truly sided with Tomas or if it had all been in my head. I needed the weight off my chest and the only way that would happen was if I told her everything.