With Jason: Part 2

Zuri POV

I burst into Grizzly cabin to see Jason laying on his bed, reading.

"Jason. Just who I wanted talk to," I say.

"Hey Zuri. You OK?" he asks.

"Why do you always ask me that? I'm not a kid you know," I snap.

"I know. I'm sorry. Just worry about you a lot," he says. He looks into my eyes, and I stare backs his. Then I shake my head.

"Listen," I say. "I thought about what you said. About not....giving up on....."

It hurts to say that word.

"Love," Jason says. I smile and nod.

"Exactly. But I realize that I'm still a teenager. I don't need a boyfriend. I just need to have a boy who's my friend."

Jason looks disappointed but says, "Fine, whatever." And goes back to reading.

I'm kind of shocked. "What's wrong? Do you have a problem with that?"

He gets up from the bed. "You know what? I'm tired of playing. Let me just say the truth. I like you Zuri."

"Yeah. I know," I say shrugging.

He looks surprised. "You do?"

"It's obvious."

He smiles a little. "Do.....do you like me?"

"As a friend?" I say. "Sure."

"I mean....more than a friend," he says.

Here we go. I wanted to say no, but for some reason I couldn't say it. He obviously cares about me. And he made me feel better when I was going through the whole Griff thing.

I look him in the eyes, and he leans towards me. I can't believe he kissed me and I did do anything about it. The  the door opened. I didn't see who it was because my back was facing the door.

Then a voice said, "Zuri?"