10.

We sat around the kitchen table eating the few pancakes we managed to make from the ingredients we didn't use as ammo. Neither Sans nor Papyrus had ever had pancakes, and it made me laugh when they both scrunched up their faces in a similar expression at the initial taste.
     By the time we'd finished, there'd been a variety of flavours scattered over each pancake; ketchup and hotcats particularly stood out to me as the oddest ideas the two brothers had.
     It amazed me to see how placid Papyrus already had become since I had come here. It made me hopeful for the others.
      Once Sans had eaten the rest of my pancake on my plate (I discovered ketchup was not a good flavour to have all too late), we both left Papyrus in the kitchen.
     Sans let out a breathy chuckle, looking out the window.
     I joined him.
     "I've never seen this day before," he said, and I looked at him, confused.
     "I mean, I suppose that's a given, but Chara never got this far. Or, when she did, she always reset. Either I died on this day, or she- it- did."
     I looked out of the window, that familiar feeling of guilt washing over me. That's my fault, I thought, but I had no idea why. Maybe it was Chara planting it in my brain.
     What was she playing at? I wondered, and why did she give me control of my body back? Did she just get bored?
      Sans' voice snapped me out of my muses.
      "This is all so new. Papyrus is already so much better, only the other day I saw him..." He stopped himself abruptly. I didn't push him any further. I didn't want to know what he say Papyrus doing either.
     He turned to me, scratching the back of his skull.
     "Look, Frisk, I really am sorry for killing you back then, but you understand, right? You've seen what Chara's done, and you obviously know that you two are basically the same... Your eyes are different though." He murmured the last sentence almost to himself, and I suddenly felt self conscious, like I wanted to look away from his piercing stare.
      "What do you mean?" I whispered.
      "I... Don't know," he said, his usually gruff voice lowering to an almost gentle low hum from his throat, "yours are... Sadder, like you see the world differently."
     I looked away, embarrassed.
     He continued, "Chara is deranged, like something's changed her to the brink of madness, like she's always on edge, and of course I tried to tell her, I understood, I could help, at the beginning."
     His eye flashed a little, "Heh. Well. I guess she didn't enjoy our little heart-to-heart. But you:"
     I felt his hand lift my chin a little to move back to his own face. I didn't resist.
     "Who hurt you, kid?" He asked, his voice showing true concern.
     "That's why you're so determined to not kill or hurt anyone. I can see it. You're determined for just once, a happy ending, aren't ya?"
     I blinked back tears I didn't realise were brimming to the surface. I hadn't even realised that myself. But now that Sans had said it, I realised it was true. I closed my eyes, biting my lip slightly.
      "Maybe Chara feels that too," I breathed slightly. Sans hand never left my face, but it stiffened slightly as those words left my mouth. "Maybe she's just stronger than me, cleverer than me, maybe she was right."
       I looked out at the window and took in the ruined countryside. Sans' hand dropped from my chin. "Maybe it really is like you said."
      I sighed, "In this world..." I paused, sniffing "It's kill or be killed."
      There was a silence. I turned to look to Sans... To see he was no longer there. I looked around me. He'd completely disappeared. I sighed to myself.
     "Hey," a hand suddenly grabbed me, making me yelp, and suddenly I felt something crushing me, and I cried out in pain, my head feeling like it would explode-
     "Look at this," Sans' body stood close to mine, and I realised that we'd moved from his house. We were standing underneath a crystal sky of purple, and I gasped.
     I remembered this place. In front of me was the familiar statue, broken more than I remember it, and eroded over time from the water falling on it.
     "Do you know what this is?" Sans asked me, gesturing to the statue with the hand that didn't still envelope my own.
     I shook my head.
     Sans chuckled, "Me neither," he told me, "But I like to guess what it could be."
     "He needs an umbrella," I murmured.
     Sans gave me a confused look, "Why?"
      I smiled mysteriously, "You'll see."