28.

Sans' POV

I watched in horror as Frisk's eyes rolled into her head, collapsing into my arms as I propped her up. 

      "Frisk!" I shook her gently, then more urgently. No response. Her eyelids remained fluttered shut, peaceful. The footsteps were even closer now, my desperation rising with every step they took. 

       I swore repeatedly under my breath as I turned side to side, looking to no avail for a way out of this situation. Clutching her small frame to my chest, I growled in anger and closed my eyes. All this caring was getting exhausting. I placed Frisk down again. It took everything in me to leave her in such a shitty hiding place; but I knew it was our best shot. 

       In one quick movement, I materialised into the middle of the room, my face falling effortlessly into its' comfortable grin- expressionless, unreadable. The door burst open, Alphys' cold eyes meeting mine. Neither of us moved. 

      "Well hey there, Al," I said casually, trying to sound normal; still slightly breathless from mine and frisk's... moment. Before she punched me into a locker. I was still trying not to take that too personally.

      "Sans," she hissed, dead eyes giving no clue to her thoughts whatsoever. "What are you doing here?" 

          That's what made her so dangerous to me. It's impossible to plan what to say or do to stay alive when the person you're bargaining with doesn't even know themselves.  

      "Thought I'd just make sure it's all going well here after Undyne paid a little visit at mine yesterday," I replied, "caught the human yet?" 

       "No, and Undyne seems to think you have something to do with that." She smiled, teeth cutting into flesh and causing welts to bleed down her snout, "Interesting how no reset has come yet. I thought you said the day a reset doesn't come is when we need to up the experiments?" 

        I hesitated, "...I guess I did say that, yeah."

       "Then I'm surprised you haven't come sooner than this. You were our best hope and now something isn't quite adding up. Say, shouldn't you have seen what happened to Chara when she last reset? You're always there waiting for her, after all."

          "You think I'd hold out on you about Chara? C'mon, Al, I thought we were better friends than that." 

         She opened her mouth and cackled, cracked teeth grinding apart as she did so, "Friends? Since when did you ever have friends? The only reason you've left any of us still alive are because the alternative is you'd have do all this shit by yourself." 

       "A good point, I grant you," I said, grin widening now, "But I bet deep down you've got a heart of gold. I feel it in my bones." 

      Alphys dead fish-like eyes didn't even flicker. I sighed. Frisk would have laughed at that. Whatever had happened to her, it wasn't looking good if even my awful puns weren't rousing her from her slumber.

        "I am glad you're here," Alphys continued, glaring at me. "I have a new idea I've been working on lately now I've been able to keep my plans written down for more than a few hours. I think it could do with your attention. I think it might be the answer you've been looking for, finally."

      "-uhh..." I couldn't think of a good enough excuse to stay here without her getting suspicious. 

        "How the hell you managed to ruin the entire core cooling system is really beyond me. I mean, couldn't you have just teleported like always Sans? You've completely fucked the whole thing. It's going to take me hours to fix. It's set my plan back by hours, days even, possibly. However long this reset will take, you'd better hope your ass it won't be until I get this finished." 

      She turned her back to me as she began to walk out the room. "Otherwise it's you who has to deal with Chara's sadistic techniques all over again.

      "What?" Her eyes narrowed as she turned back round when she realised I hadn't moved. "We haven't got all day. Oh, and ignore the blood stains. And the screams. They've been extra loud for the past few hours. No idea why. Nothing's woken them like this for ages." 

         Helplessly, I followed Alphys as she continued down the passageway with one last desperate look to where I had left Frisk, slumped hidden away from anyone, unconscious and oblivious to my retreating figure leaving her very much unprotected and alone. 

        I may have majorly messed up here.