20 - Sixteen Candles

Birthdays were always a bit of a hit and miss in my family, so when my eager friends wanted to actually celebrate my birthday, I was already trying my very best to protest against their crazy schemes. Not because I didn't love them for caring so much, but because birthdays usually brought bad luck for me.

"Come on, we don't have to throw a party or anything." Gwen was saying around a bite of garlic bread, her dark hair pushed off her face with her signature headband. We were fanned around a booth at Buttercrust after a long week of school and for the first time in a long while, it was just us girls again. "It could be low-key, maybe just a night to spend some of Osborn's money?" 

Mary Jane looked up from her script book, "Florence, you only turn sixteen once. Why not celebrate? We could spend the day at Coney Island, or maybe check out the aquarium?" It felt somewhat strange having our bubbly redhead hanging out with us in the afternoons, usually she was too busy with rehearsals. "Or maybe check out a musical on Broadway, there's this new show that--"

"Not everybody loves show tunes like you," Gwen noted quietly. We had been going back and forth like this for about an hour, our homework totally forgotten about and our glasses empty and waiting for refills. Our shared pizza had been practically inhaled in minutes and even though the pizza place was busy with Midtown students, it was nice just sitting around and catching up before our weekend started. 

Propping my elbows on the tabletop, my thoughts were tainted with the week from hell. Not only was I behind on at least two subjects already, my grades had suffered from my finals, which meant I had a long way to go with bringing them back up to standard. But trying to actually care right now, was the real challenge. "Look, we can't even agree on one thing. Let's just forget the whole thing?" I tried with a frown but my friends weren't letting go that easily. 

Suddenly, Gwen was throwing up her hand and waving somebody over to us who had been waiting inline to order. "Oh, look an innocent bystander, who has no remote interest in the matter, the perfect fourth opinion." Gwen was grinning proudly and my eyes dipped up to find Ned Leeds, a little confused to why he was being summoned by Gwen this bright afternoon. "Ned, hey. Would you mind doing us a little favour?"

Ned nodded, "Um, sure?"

Mary Jane was giving him a tiny smile, shuffling her bag into her lap and letting this geeky boy take a seat at our booth. He seemed a little taken back, usually not called upon in such a manner but Gwen didn't mind. "Okay, we've been auguring for like an hour, and we need a fourth opinion." The words were dripping sweetly from her tongue, Ned not standing a chance. "So, it's Florence's birthday tomorrow and we need something to do. We've gone over the basics and a party is off the cards, along with Coney Island. Any ideas?"

The boy blinked a few times which only made me laugh. "Ned, you don't have to help. My friends here are just being...well, their usual bright eyed and slightly overwhelming selves." I told him kindly.

Gwen rolled her eyes, leaning forward with another charming smile which had Ned's cheeks flaming with a pinkish colour. "Um, well I do enjoy spending time at the comic book store in Brooklyn. They've got this really cool Star Wars lego collection--"

Mary Jane inched closer, "Wait, you like Star Wars?"

"Who doesn't?" Ned thought it was a crazy question. 

Our waiter was bypassing our booth finally, a fresh jug of cherry coke with our names written all over it. Clayton Cole was quiet, his face stone cold as he went ahead and refilled our drinks but naturally, Gwen was roping him into the conversation too. "Oooh, Clayton, perfect timing. We've got a question for you." The new boy just nodded in response, taking Mary Jane's glass. "Alright, say you're turning sixteen tomorrow--"