30 - A Trip Downstate

"You know, this mustard yellow looks dashing on me." Flash Thompson's voice drifted through the air and naturally, my eyes were rolling with his comment. The National Academic Decathlon team were huddled around the bus, waiting out orders from Mr. Harrington, who had already pulled me aside and given me a rundown on how this trip would pan out and what responsibilities rested on my shoulders. "What do you think, babe?"

Gwen was also rolling her pretty eyes while grabbing her matching yellow blazer and tucking it under her arm and pulling her small suitcase towards the bus. "I think if you keep checking yourself out in the bus windows, your head will explode from all that vanity, babe."

A few snickers ran through the Academic Decathlon team but Gwen was only teasing and pressed a quick kiss to his cheek before wandering over to where I stood lonely, a clipboard in my hands. Despite everything that had happened this week, I was almost happy about getting away from the city and spending the weekend with Gwen Stacy, even if I was somewhat a glorified chaperonage. After a long speech about behaving myself from my parents this morning around the breakfast table, my overnight bag was finally packed, my iPod fully charged and a stash of hard candy hidden in my bag, I was ready for the long bus ride to Washington, D.C. "Ready to explore the wonders of our capital?"

I shrugged my shoulders, "Hm, not overly excited but hey, at least we're away from school and I don't remotely have to pretend my heart isn't shattering into a million pieces whenever my eyes land on Peter freaking Parker." My best friend grimaced with my comment and I was already regretting that tiny ounce of bitterness slip. "Sorry, word vomit. I just mean...it will be nice just spending some time with you and not having to worry about other things."

Gwen glanced over at her boyfriend. "And spending time with Flash."

"He's not so bad," I noted quietly, trying to hide a smile as he fixed his collar in the bus's side mirror, still acting a little vain about his appearance. "Right now, I would rather spend a weekend listening to him boost about himself than crying into my pillow about my own patheic love life. You know, maybe this trip away will clear the air and--"

Suddenly, my voice was drifting off when my gaze landed on Ned Leeds hurrying towards us with his own baggage and another quirky hat upon his head. But that wasn't the sight that made my lungs close up for a split second. Peter Parker was beside him, carrying his own bag which suggested my weekend was about to take a narrow turn. I watched in mild horror as Peter moved directly towards Mr. Harrington and Liz Allan, speaking about joining the team again. With the commotion, Flash sneaked up behind us. "They can't just let him back in like nothing happened...that means I'm totally subbed again. Typical, Penis Parker."

Gwen lightly swatted at his chest. "Don't call him that."

Flash sent her a look. "What? It's not like Florence even cares now, right?"

Although my heart was plummeting in my chest with the realisation that Peter was indeed joining the trip downstate, there was not an inch in my soul that would not defend him. We might have been broken up, but he was still my friend. Well, kind of. "Your girlfriend is right, Flash. You don't need to be jerk and call him names just because he's joined the team again. If anything, there's more of a chance of winning with him around." Flash mumbled something which sounded a lot like sometimes, I can't even win but didn't disagree with us. I painfully watched as Peter glanced over his shoulder and locked his eyes on me but my chin was dropping before any emotion could slip on my face, the moment lost.

When the team finally boarded the bus, Flash and Gwen snagging a spot up the back, I huddled in beside Michelle Jones who sent me a little smile before dropping her boots to the floor and moving her bag. Her sketchbook was laid open on her knees, her curly hair frizzier than ever. I pulled out my bag of candy and offered her some. "A girl after my own heart, I knew I liked you for a reason." she noted taking a handful.