36 - Déjà Vu

The ability to put on a brave face was something I had mastered perfectly over the years, something that sometimes felt like second nature. To hide the truth and pretend everything was fine when there was a storm brewing inside you, that was a truly sad gift but it was one that I depended on quite recently. Sometimes it was easier letting your family and friends believe the cover up, to see the smile pinned to your lips and assume life was good because at least you never had to voice your own fears and worries.

"How are your visions lately? Are we calling them that or do you prefer something else? Maybe premonitions fits better?" My father questioned casually, his eyes not moving from the road ahead of him. Strangely, he had offered to drive me back to school for the musical tonight. It was opening night for Spring Awakening and my circle of friends had booked tickets to see our star Mary Jane Watson in action. "Have you made any lead way with them, darling?"

I leaned forward to examine my lipstick in the rearview mirror, pursing my lips with the question. I was beginning to feel like my powers were utterly useless and despite coming to terms with having them now, they weren't very helpful. "Premonitions would suggest I could change the outcome." I noted sourly, "Which I'm not sure I truly can."

My father paused. "What makes you feel like that?"

"Every time I figure something out, like that ferry the other day, it seems like I'm just an observer to the figments in my mind. The vision took me to the ferry sure, but there was nothing I could do to even stop what happened." I rested back against my seat, my hands flattening down my blouse. "What's the point in being able to see possible outcomes of the future if there isn't anything I can do to actually change what happens, dad?"

He tossed the question around in his mind and when we came to a red-light, his kind eyes glanced across at me. It felt nice discussing my power with him because usually it was my mother giving me advice. She was always much better at relating to me than he ever could. But tonight he was trying his best and actually doing a fitting job. "Have you ever given the thought that the serum manifested into visions, not to force you into changing the future somehow, which is quite difficult if you believe such things can be changed, but maybe to learn from it?"

"No," I replied quietly. "But if I can't change these possible future events, how can I possibly learn from them when everything is muddled up and in-cohesive anyway until it actually happens and I'm somehow stuck in the middle of it?"

My father gave a smile, "We learn from past mistakes, from our own experiences. That's the way the world works, but if we could learn from mistakes or such events that have no yet occurred, that could indeed help shape a future we could be proud of. Can you imagine the possibilities, Florence? How everything could be different if we knew our future mistakes or victories."

With his words, my own head was beginning to hurt. "Given some thought into that, have you?"

He laughed. "Maybe. Anyway, your visions and the reasons of why you've got them and how you can use them is something you'll have to figure out yourself."

I sighed loudly, "That's what I'm afraid of."

***

Midtown's theatre was packed with family and friends, everyone excited about the opening night of the musical. I had arrived a little late and didn't get a chance to sneak backstage and wish Mary Jane luck but thankfully, my friends had saved me a spot in the crowd. Gwen Stacy was waving me over when she spotted me in the crowded doorway, looking a little lost. Hurrying over with a quick smile, I was about to slip into the free seat on the end of the row but Flash Thompson was rushing to his feet. "Flo, let's switch seats."