42 - Like Dominoes

Secrets always had a funny way of shuffling out of the darkness at the worst possible moment, and today, that moment happened with May Parker and two kids who remotely had no idea how to handle the situation with grace. 

"You've been hiding this for over a year? Peter Benjamin Parker, how could you keep this from me? After everything we've been through with Ben, and now this..." 

My fingertips itched a random spot on my neck. "In my defence, I've not known that long." 

Peter stared across at me in horror and my shoulders simply shrugged in response. Trying to cover up this slip up, he was leaning forward in his seat and trying to catch his aunt's eye, who was pacing back and forth. In all honestly, May was taking this quite well. Besides all the swearing, but that had stopped a little while ago. "It's not a big deal. Really. We kind of just...try and help the city. Usually we don't find ourselves in too much trouble. Plus, Mr. Stark gave me back my new suit and it's super cool. Karen helps keep me safe. You've got nothing to worry about."

Aunt May placed her hands on her hips. "Nothing to worry about? You've got to be kidding me. Tony Stark knows about all this too? Heaven forbid." She pinched the bridge of her nose, turning away for a moment to gather some of her thoughts. "How could you think all of this is a good idea? You both are just children. You shouldn't be running around acting like you can save the world. You should be worrying about, I don't know, school work and cafeteria food."

"We do still worry about those things." I pointed out quietly.

Peter wiggled in his seat, growing uncomfortable again. I could see he was trying to articulate his words in order to soften the blow to his aunt. "Okay, when I said you've got nothing to worry about, I just meant that you shouldn't worry too much. We're not normal teenagers, Aunt May. We became something special with our powers. Sure, we still worry about school and everything, but we're not normal. Not anymore." 

His aunt glanced back at me, her eyes growing sad again. "Have you got powers too, Florence?"

I nodded slowly, my teeth sinking into my bottom lip. "Well, yeah. I don't really consider them cool though. They don't remotely help protect me, or the world. They're not like Peter's powers. Mine just, kind of make everything worse. That's the downside of messing around with science I don't know anything about." I replied, a little sad myself. It was hard admitting my powers were not always a gift. Aunt May stared a me a little longer, pity flashing in her eyes. "Don't worry, I'm just fine! Honestly." I assured her. 

Like Peter Parker could read my thoughts, his hand folded over my knee in a comforting manner, because he knew that I wasn't always just fine. "I am really sorry I didn't tell you, Aunt May. I just thought you didn't end another burden. I just wanted to protect you." 

"Lying does not always protect," May said, running a hand down her face. "But at least your heart was in the right place. Now, I want Tony Stark's number, because he's going to get an earful from me. Also, don't think you've gotten off so easily, mister. You're grounded, okay? I don't care if you've got whatever new villain to defeat. You'll do that within daylight hours. Do you hear me?"

Peter gave sheepish smile. "Yes, Aunt May."

***

The cafeteria at Midtown was beaming with life the following afternoon, our lunch trays ditched and our conversation muffled. Mary Jane was sitting so close to me that her elbow was digging into my ribcage, but there was a sparkle in her eyes as we talked about Spidey business. "Wait, May knows? Did she flip? Did she bake like fifteen cakes? She always over-bakes when she's anxious." The pretty redhead gushed out.