41 - Whoopsie Daisy

Almost immediately, blood was rushing to my brain and my stomach dropped about a million meters, or it would have, if that was possible. Suddenly, it was like every cohesive thought that should have sprung to mind vanished with the sight of Mary Jane Watson standing in the doorway, her eyes pinned to the boy practically hanging from the roof with his fingertips like it was some every day occurrence. 

"H-how, are you doing that?" Mary Jane blurted out randomly, her voice a little high pitched and not at all girly and sweet. Within a blink of an eye, her face was falling as she slowly put the pieces together of a puzzle she had not been clued into for over a year. Her mouth snapped shut, confusion lighting up in her eyes. "He's hanging from the roof. Just hanging." she muttered quietly to herself after a long silent moment where nobody said a damn word. It was almost like she was trying to convince herself that what she was seeing, was indeed true and not some horrible dream. 

With all terrible timing, Ned Leeds was pushing through the doorway, almost out of breath. "Uh guys, we've got a bit of a situation..." His eyes snapped towards Mary Jane, who was clinging some textbooks closely to her chest and staring up at Peter Parker, who had not yet removed himself from the ceiling. 

I glared at him. "You don't say? Come on, Ned. You had one job. That job was very specific. You keep an eye out, which kinda' means you inform us before somebody enters the room."  

Ned cringed. "Sorry, manly duties called."

"Manly duties? Like what?" I snipped at him.

He fumbled. "Well, I've got a tiny bladder and nature calls and all that fun anatomy stuff. You don't need a refresher on science, do you? So, simply put, manly duties."

"That's too much information, Ned."

Mary Jane frowned deeply, ignoring us both completely, her focus still narrowed on the boy next door, somebody she had grown up with and had never considered a hero. A teenage hero who still, was frozen in sheer horror on the ceiling. "Can somebody please explain to me why you three are snooping around Harry's bedroom? And how Pete is stuck to the ceiling like that's so normal? Please, before I quite literally lose my mind."

Peter Parker coughed. "Uh, well..."

My gaze yanked up to him, "Pete, get down."

Smoothly, Peter detached himself from the ceiling and landed gracefully beside me. He straightened up, his lips drawn into a firm line. Silently, and rather awkwardly, the four of us stared across at each other, just waiting for somebody to explain the situation out loud. Apparently, I was not the only one lost for words today. "Mary Jane, this may seem a little weird, and it's something super secret, so you can't tell anybody. Okay? It's gotta' stay between us, or well, terrible things might happen and..." Peter mumbled on, a very old and familiar habit which was sneaking up on us all. 

"Peter is Spider-Man." Ned blurted out. 

We all stared at Ned, who gave a sheepish smile. "Ned."

He shrugged his shoulders with my hasty response. "What? I was helping. We're in the middle of a mission, remember? We don't have time for Peter to ramble on and on right now. Once he starts mumbling he never stops." Ned explained further while suddenly moving towards the bookcase that stood tall and mighty by Harry's large bedroom windows. "Mind you, Mary Jane can totally handle the secret. Right, Mary Jane?"

Mary Jane open and closed her mouth, not quite sure how to even reply right now. Without hesitation, I was moving towards her and taking charge of the current predicament. Naturally, Peter hung back because he was not quite built to deal with sticky situations. Slowly, I took the books from her tiny hands and placed them on Harry's desk. Her eyes were still huge and I just knew her mind was filled with so many questions. "Mary Jane, hey, you gotta' speak to me. I know this is a little shocking and is not something you need on your plate right now, but you can't tell anybody. Okay?"