Part 27

~

"I realized that your mother couldn't see the emptiness, she couldn't see anything...All of the words I'd written to her over all of those years, had I never said anything to hear at all."

-Jonathan Safran Foer

~

I woke up to someone poking my cheek. I slowly blinked before opening my eyes.

I couldn't help but smile as I saw her.

"Hey," I whispered with a goofy grin, the anger I felt before long forgotten and replaced with the memories of her in my arms.

"Hi." She said giggling.

We sat there smiling at each other in silence for a moment. She traced random shapes blindly onto my arm making goosebumps appear.

"Not to ruin the moment or anything, but what are you doing here?" Emma asked breaking the silence.

I paused for a moment.

The truth has always been hard, lies, however, have always been easy.

In the end, I told her the truth about everything that happened between my mom and I, including the letter.

I figured if I could tell anyone the truth about my fucked up life, I could tell her.

"Damn." She whispered after I told her everything.

I nodded my head, knowing she couldn't see me.

"Do-" she started to say, but stopped herself. "What? Say it." I asked. She bit her lip.

"Do you think that's how our moms know each other? My mom was your mom's divorce lawyer. That would back up his claims about a court order." Emma said turning away from me slightly.

Well, dang.

It all makes sense. That would even explain why Emma's mom had made that comment about my d-father when we met.

"It's possible," I said with a shrug not wanting to think about it.

"What's Paxton Hills?" Emma asked.

Instead of answering, I changed the subject.

"How long have you been awake?" I asked as I searched for my phone in the darkness of the room.

"Long enough that I already ate breakfast and opened presents with my parents before coming back up to wake you," Em said casually.

That reminds me...

I reached for my jacket on the ground and pulled out the small square box from my jacket. I was glad that I had thought ahead enough to bring it with me knowing I wouldn't have had the chance to go home.

I bit my lip hesitating. There's no going back. I sat the box in her hand.

Her eyebrows pulled together in confusion as she felt the box with her hand.

"What's this?" She asked in confusion. "It's my gift to you," I said trying to stay calm and not sound as nervous as I felt.

Emma frowned.

"I feel so bad. I didn't even think to get you anything. I can't accept this, I'm sorry." Emma said trying to hand me the box back.

"You didn't have to get me anything and corny as it sounds your company is enough for me. You'd only hurt my feelings by not taking it." I said softly.

She pouted but didn't argue with me.

She slowly lifted the lid off the box. Before feeling inside it.