Part 34

~

"I suppose the greatest blindness is to assume the absence of blindness."

- Craig D. Lounsbrough

~

The music was so loud that I could barely hear my drunken thoughts.

I was sitting in the love seat in Ashley's living room with a beer in one hand and a jay in the other.

No one paid attention to me as a wild party took place around me.

I couldn't remember how I got here and I was too tired to leave.

All I could think about was Emma's tear-covered face and the fact that I was the reason she cried.

Even surrounded by all of these people I felt alone. I felt like I was drowning in my own emptiness.

Is this what heartbreak feels like? Maybe.

Then again, I felt empty long before ever meeting Emma.

Maybe, I was just an empty person. Maybe, I was a hole that could never be filled.

Even Emma couldn't fill me, no matter how hard she tried.

I took another sip of my drink.

I turned as I noticed a girl stumble her way towards me. She didn't even hesitate before sitting on my lap.

I looked at her in confusion or at least I think I did. I couldn't feel my face.

She laughed.

I didn't recognize her. But, at that moment I don't think I would have been able to recognize my own mother.

She snatched the blunt I held in my hand from me. She took a long drag before blowing smoke into my face.

She leaned close to me as she stared at me and took another long drag.

I was too high to care.

She handed me the blunt. I took a drag.

She leaned close to my ear.

"Y-you are very cute." She giggled into my ear. I didn't understand what was so funny.

Suddenly, she was sucking my earlobe.

I didn't like it. I didn't like the feel of her so close to me. It felt gross. It felt wrong.

I moved my head away from her. But, she didn't stop. Instead, my movement only made her weird sucking and licks move down towards my neck.

I wanted to tell her to stop, but I couldn't seem to form words as my eyelids drifted shut.

I opened my eyes again to see the girl suddenly on the ground and Ashley yelling at her.

With the loud music and my foggy mind I couldn't make out Ashley's quick words, but the girl look frightened before quickly getting up and fleeing.

I blinked slowly.

When I opened my eyes again Ashley was now turned looking at me.

"Nice hickey, What's your girlfriend gonna think?" Ashley frowned at me.

Girlfriend? Did I still have one of those?

I took another sip of my drink.

After waiting a moment Ashley realized I wasn't going to answer her. Her frown deepened.