Part 45

~

"It can happen that if anyone is talking to a person they know cannot see well, they are careless. They permit themselves an expression of face that on other occasions they would not allow."

-Agatha Christie

~

"My name is Vanessa and I am your sister."

What the fuck?

Before I could think to say anything my mom came up behind me.

"Who is this?" Mom asked as she turned to me. "It's Vanessa," I answered airily as I turned to face my mother.

I stumbled away from the door. The world was spinning. Nothing made sense anymore.

"Who's Vanessa?" My mom asked in confusion as I sat on the bottom step of the stairs. My head in my hands.

My sister. I couldn't even say the words. It didn't seem real. Before she was just some words on a paper, but now she was here.

"I'm his sister," Vanessa said finally speaking since my mother had appeared. I could hear my mother gasp. I closed my eyes. I couldn't breathe. My heart beating out of my chest.

As I tried to control my breath I could hear my mom telling Vanessa to come inside before letting her in and shutting the door.

When did my life become one of those cheesy dramatic soap operas that nobody likes?

"Why did you come here?" I snapped finally looking up. She seemed confused by my question. "I wanted to meet you," Vanessa answered as if it was obvious.

But why? Why now of all times?

Before I could voice my thoughts my mom spoke, "How did you find where we lived?" She asked.

Vanessa looked away from me for the first time. Her eyes trailing to the ground as she smiled sheepishly. "I went through my dad's paperwork..." She muttered nervously.

I snorted.

Looking at her there was no denying we were related. We shared the same shade of curly dirty blond hair and coffee brown eyes. I looked away from her.

"Why now?" I asked finally as I stood up.

"Well, after you called-" She started to say but was cut off. "You called your father?" My mom interrupted as she turned to me.

I could feel both of their eyes on me like a heavy weight. I nodded slowly as I avoided looking back at either of them.

Vanessa stepped towards me. She stopped as she now stood before me. Slowly I turned to her. I hadn't noticed how small she was before. She looked no older than fourteen. "I wanted to meet my brother," Vanessa muttered as she looked at me.

Her hand lightly touching my arm. Suddenly she was hugging me. I stood there not sure what to do.

I felt numb in a way the drugs never could make me. I couldn't even feel her in my arms.

"I'm calling your father." My mom said swiftly as she walked to get her phone. Just as quickly Vanessa pulled away from me. "No, please don't! He'll make me come back!" Vanessa begged in a panic.

"He doesn't know you're here?" Mom gasped.

I felt dazed. Too stuck on the empty sensation within me to follow the conversation. It was like my thoughts were racing so quickening that I wasn't thinking at all.