Part 37

~

"Even though I'm blind, I can still see your love."

-Anthony T. Hincks

~

There were no words to describe how it felt to feel her heartbeat against mine. Nothing could begin to explain how it felt to have her in my arms again.

Her lips feverishly pressed against mine as she tugged on my hair.

I pulled away with a grin.

"I really am sorry," I said as I struggled to catch my breath.

"Shut up." She muttered before pulling my lips back to hers. Her grip on my hair tightening.

I pulled away again. "I mean it, Em," I promised.

Her fingers left my hair as she softly began to stroke the side of my face. Her thumb brushing my bottom lip before she frowned.

"Could you stop smoking cigarettes?" She asked suddenly completely throwing me off.

Yes, she had mentioned her distaste towards me smoking before but her question still seemed misplaced.

"I don't want to," I answered. Honestly, I didn't think I could even if I wanted to.

"Could you try quitting?" She pushed. Her question making me more than a little uncomfortable.

My fingers ran over the ends of her waist-length hair.

"I-" I started and stopped myself.

"Danny, they taste and smell like shit." She said taking my silence as a chance to explain herself.

She kissed the corner of my mouth. "How are we suppose to have a future together if you get lung cancer or worse?" She added her voicing getting quieter with each word.

She thought about us having a future together? The idea made me giddy.

"Okay, I'll try," I promised.

She smiled before kissing me again, this time rougher than before.

She moved quickly as now she straddled me. I wrapped my arms around her waist as she wrapped one of her arms around my neck while using the other one to fist the end of my shirt.

"Promise me one more thing?" She asked between kisses.

At this moment I would agree to anything. My pants feeling uncomfortably tight.

"Anything." I agreed my mind feeling a new high as she rolled her hips against mine.

"Promise me you won't do any drugs again, at all." She whispered quickly.

The fog in my mind quickly clearing. I pulled away from her breaking our heated kiss.

Still, she sat straddling my lap. She kissed my neck softly.

"Promise?" She asked again.

This time I shifted moving her off of my lap and away from me.

She needed to stop touching me. I couldn't think clearly when she touched me.

Now she sat on the bed right next to me. Her thigh pressed against mine.

I couldn't promise her that because I knew I couldn't keep that promise.

I looked at her. Her face was flushed red and her hair looked beyond messy. I imagine I looked similar.

"Daniel?" She asked snapping me out of my thought as she placed her hand on my knee.