τρία

ϟ

     Amara walked out of her cabin with more confidence than she had walked in with. She was grateful for Zeus's gift. It was the first sword that felt perfectly light and balanced in her hand. She felt protected, like her father was watching her and would continue to watch over her. And she felt special that Zeus had actually listened to her and granted her request even though it was mostly rhetorical.

     But that still didn't make up for the twelve years that Zeus was absent from her life.

     Amara had knocked on the Cabin 3 door. Percy was all packed up and ready to go. He had told her how the camp store had loaned him a hundred dollars in mortal money and twenty golden drachmas and asked what purpose the giant golden coins would be of use for.

     "They come in handy sometimes. You'll see," she replied, which didn't seem to satisfy Percy. To be honest, Amara herself wasn't sure what they would be used for, but she was taught to never underestimate the Greek gods and their impact on the western world.

     Chiron gave Amara, Percy, and Annabeth each a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag of ambrosia squares. Though they were unrealistically delicious, too much would be fatal to a mortal.

     Together, they hiked up to the top of Half-Blood Hill to Thalia's tree. Amara never knew Thalia personally, even though they were half-sisters, but she had heard stories; she knew of Thalia's bravery. Everyone at camp did. And Amara wanted to be just like her half-sister. She wanted to be brave. She wanted to be strong.

     That was part of the reason she agreed to go on the quest: to prove her bravery and strength to her father, to make Zeus proud of his daughter, whether he acknowledged that fact the Amara was his child or not.

     Chiron was waiting for the quartet in his wheelchair, not quite ready to see them off. Argus stood beside him.

     "This is Argus," Chiron said to Percy. "He will drive you into the city, and, er, well, keep an eye on things."

     If the situation wasn't so serious, Amara would've chuckled seeing as Argus had nothing but eyes.

     Suddenly, footsteps were heard behind them.

     Luke came running up the hill, carrying a pair of basketball shoes.

     "Hey!" he panted. "Glad I caught you."

     Annabeth blushed. Amara rolled her eyes; she knew of Annabeth's crush on Luke, whether she admitted it or not.

     "Just wanted to say good luck," Luke said to Percy. "And I thought... um, maybe you could use these."

     He handed Percy some regular looking sneakers. Since Luke was the son of Hermes, god of speed, the shoes were probably enchanted to sprout wings or something, Amara thought. Luke wouldn't give Percy regular old sneakers unless there was something special about them.

     As Amara had expected, when Luke said, "Maia!", the shoes sprouted white bird wings, which had seemed to startle Percy so much that he dropped them.

     The shoes continued to flap on the ground until the wings folded up and disappeared, returning the sneakers to regular looking sneakers.

     "Awesome!" Grover said.

     Luke smiled. "Those served me well when I was on my quest. Gift from Dad. Of course, I don't use them much these days..." he said as a sad expression morphed his face.

     After Percy had thanked him, Luke said, "Listen, Percy... a lot of hopes are riding on you. So just... kill some monsters for me, okay?"

     He then looked to Amara. "You too, Amarmalade. Make sure you stay focused and just... don't die."