τέσσερα

ϟ

     "So far, so good. Ten miles and not a single monster."

     For the first time in four years, minus the most recent field trip to Olympus, Amara was experiencing the real world. She had stepped out from the protective borders of Camp Half-Blood, becoming vulnerable to monster attacks.

     And it was exciting.

     Amara couldn't help but gaze out the window and see the gradual change from country to city. The highway amazed her, the billboards astounded her, the Taco Bell's left her in awe. She saw kids ride in the back of their parents' car with bored expressions, whining about how much longer until they got there. And it was a complete contrast to Amara's feelings.

     "It's bad luck to talk that way, seaweed brain," Annabeth responded, clearly irritated.

     "Remind me again--why do you hate me so much?" asked Percy.

     "I don't hate you."

     "Could've fooled me."

     She folded her cap of invisibility. "Look ... we're just not supposed to get along, okay? Our parents are rivals."

     "Why?" 

     Amara tore her face from the window and joined in on the conversation.

     "If you wanted all the reasons, we'd be here forever. For starters, once, Athena caught Poseidon with his girlfriend doing the hanky panky in her temple, which wasn't the most respectful act. Another time, they competed to be the patron god of Athens. Your dad made like a saltwater spring or something and Athena made the olive trees. I guess the Athenians liked the olives better, so they chose her. They haven't really been the bestest friends after that," Amara responded, pulling all the facts she could from her memory.

     "They must really like olives," Percy commented.

     "Oh, forget it," said Annabeth.

     "Now, if she'd invented pizza--that I could understand."

     "I said, forget it!" 

     Amara shared a look with Grover. She wanted to laugh, but she'd never want to be on Annabeth's bad side.

     The traffic in Queens slowed them down. The four began to play I Spy to pass the time.

     By the time they got to Manhattan, the sun was setting and it was raining.

     Argus dropped them at Greyhound Station on the Upper East Side.

     In the midst of looking at her surroundings, Amara caught sight of Percy ripping a soggy paper from a mailbox. Due to her dyslexia, she couldn't make out the words fast enough before Percy tore it down but she did make out his picture on it.

     Amara wanted to question him, but it wasn't any of her business. Besides, it wasn't like it was a "WANTED" poster of Percy, right? It was probably just a lawnmowing ad, she thought to herself.

     Argus unloaded their bags from the trunk of the car, made sure they had their bus tickets, and drove off, the eye on the back of his hand opening to watch the three demigods and one satyr.

     Amara looked over to Percy, who seemed to be deep in thought.

     "You want to know why she married him, Percy?" Grover asked.

     Amara assumed he was probably talking about Percy's mom. For the short time that Amara and Percy had talked, he had mentioned his mom a few times and from what Amara had gathered, he seemed to really love his mom. It made Amara wish that she had someone like Percy's mom to be Amara's mom.